Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] REVISE in Maintain

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] REVISE in Maintain
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
Anybody ever had a problem updating a Focus db? Until yesterday I had not, and I have used Maintain sence 4.3.6. I've tried all different varaiants, e.g.

FOR ALL REVISE column FROM stk;

REPEAT stk.foccount
FOR 1 REVISE column FROM stk(index);
ENDREPEAT

etc

Because it should have been finished yesterday (how unusual), I had to find a workaround. I type it out to a a normal text file and created a Master file for that, but it does'nt seem to be the idea of Maintain.

Any ideas?

We're on Win 2003, 7.6.10

Håkan

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFOCUS DS 8.0.06/08 DS/AS
WebFOCUS RS 8.0.08 (Linux/IBM i)
WebFOCUS Client 8.0.06 (Linux)

Posts: 319 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: February 04, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
What is the problem, does it not update anything ?, or some records ?

What is the structure of the FOCUS DB, are there cross referenced fields ?

Did you know that a REVISE is the "lazy" way to update records. It checked to see if the record exists, then either does an insert of update.

You could do the same in your code and check to see if the records exist, then update the existing, and input the new. with this method, you have more control.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Mate,

it's so very simple(or that was my guess). A single segment Focus db, with 16 rows per Id and row No. I'm using two db, one is the first mentioned which i loop thru, comparing with the second one, which contains 16 dates. If the date in table 1 match the date in the second one, I'll put a mark in one of the columns in the stack of the first db. I can type it on the screen and on a text file, but it refuses to update the db.

Any wiser?
Håkan

Posts: 319 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: February 04, 2004Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention, there are no X-refs,no indexes. I've tried the old style MODIFY syntax as well, i.e:

MATCH key1 key2
ON NOMATCH INCLUDE
ON MATCH UPDATE field1 field2

but no luck

Expert
posted Hide Post
As its got no indexes, could it be a file pointer issue.

Perhaps a reposition ?

This is a weird one.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Never had a problem, even on complex structures.

What is the actual MFD?
Are you using SU?
Have you set COMMIT=ON?

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
The first thing that I would do is REBUILD both of the FOCUS files. Make sure there are no pointer issues.

Next, are the databases local or under SU? If under SU make sure the EDASPROF has COMMIT = ON and USE statements.

Lastly I would create a VERY simple procedure to see if you can update / include anything into the FOCUS file:

MAINTAIN FILE file1
infer KEY into Stk
Compute Stk.KEY = 'xxx';
include KEY from Stk
END

If nothing works, post the Masters please.
Mark

Posts: 663 | Location: New York | Registered: May 08, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
You're not by any chance accidentily using stkA to update fileB, are you?
I've come across this quite a number of times. Every time something like this happens, it's the first thing I look at and make 100% sure I use stkA ONLY for fileA etc. etc.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
All

thnx for your ideas. The problem was, a bit embarrasing, I must admit, there was another .mas with the same name in an app which was prior in the search order....

Håkan