Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SHARING] Visual Studio vs WebFOCUS

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SHARING] Visual Studio vs WebFOCUS
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
If anybody has experience with both reporting tools I would like a comparison between the two?

Thank you,

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFOCUS 8.2.05
Windows 2003
Excel, HTML, PDF

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
JJ,
Can you be more specific as to what you are trying to compare? Are you trying to compare Crystal Reports to webFOCUS reports? I leverage webFOCUS reports via Visual Studio to provide drillable links to webFOCUS reports from our website and vise versa. My opinion is webFOCUS allows for a quicker turn around time for reports but sometimes the formatting of a webFOCUS report can become tedious at times. All in all I like the reporting power and functionality of the webFOCUS reports.
Thanks,
Erin

WebFOCUS 7.6.9

Reporting client Windows 2003 Service pack 2 using IIS and TomCat 5.5
Reporting Server OS/400 V5R4M0
Outputs: HTML, Excel, PDF, CSV, and Flat Files

Posts: 130 | Location: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: February 25, 2009Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
ERINP,
Thank you for the reply. We have hundreds of WebFOCUS reports which need to be created in Visual Studio in the future. Also, we have huge databases. I am wondering if this can be done OR we may fall into performance issues.

Thanks again,

WebFOCUS 8.2.05
Windows 2003
Excel, HTML, PDF

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
JJ,
Depending on the report you may be able to link directly to your webFOCUS reports via an .aspx page. I have one web page that leverages 12 different webFOCUS reports that our end users can click a link and run a report. Performance issues can be addressed in multiple ways. I work with an AS400 and Indexing seems to increase our performance for certain reports. Sometimes the AS400 handles the request/query and sometimes webFOCUS handles the request/query. I am not very familiar with all of the internals of webfocus but others on this blog site may be able to give you a better idea. Perhaps adding to your signature what database type you are using might help with performance questions in the future...
Thanks,
Erin

WebFOCUS 7.6.9

Reporting client Windows 2003 Service pack 2 using IIS and TomCat 5.5
Reporting Server OS/400 V5R4M0
Outputs: HTML, Excel, PDF, CSV, and Flat Files

Posts: 130 | Location: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: February 25, 2009Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
ERINP,
Thank you for the information. I updated my profile.

WebFOCUS 8.2.05
Windows 2003
Excel, HTML, PDF