Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Squeeze problem

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Squeeze problem
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
I went into the following situation ( example here is with the CAR file ):

DEFINE FILE CAR
TEMP/D8.1S- = -WIDTH;
END
-RUN

TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT 
WIDTH
TEMP

ON TABLE PCHOLD AS SOMEPDF FORMAT PDF
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
     UNITS=IN,
     PAGESIZE='A4',
     LEFTMARGIN=0.250000,
     RIGHTMARGIN=0.250000,
     TOPMARGIN=0.250000,
     BOTTOMMARGIN=0.250000,
     SQUEEZE=ON,
     ORIENTATION=LANDSCAPE,
$
TYPE=REPORT,
     FONT='COURIER NEW',
     SIZE=10,
     COLOR='BLACK',
     BACKCOLOR='NONE',
     STYLE=BOLD,
	 LEFTGAP=0.00001,
     RIGHTGAP=0.00001,
$
TYPE=DATA,
     SIZE=6,
     BACKCOLOR=( RGB(234 234 255) 'WHITE' ),
$
TYPE=REPORT,
COLUMN = WIDTH,
	SQUEEZE = 4,
	COLOR = RED,
$
COLUMN = TEMP,
	SQUEEZE = 2,
	COLOR = RED,
-*	JUSTIFY = CENTER,
$
ENDSTYLE
END
-RUN
-EXIT

Problem is with the TEMP field - when I use squeeze on it ( without justify ) the field disappears. I want it to be justified right but when I use JUSTIFY = RIGHT , the field disappears again. The only way TEMP field is printed is by not using squeeze or using JUSTIFY = CENTER.
Why is this happening and how can I fix it ?
( I want the TEMP field justified right but without converting it to alphanumeric - that will do the job but I do not want to convert it.)
Thanks in advance .

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WF 7.6.5 / OS: XP / FOCUS

Posts: 42 | Registered: September 01, 2008Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Try changing Squeeze to WRAP. You might need GRID=ON also.

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Tried both of them but it is not working again.
I can't find what is the trick with this one.

Expert
posted Hide Post
I'd say it's a bug - it only occurs if your column definition contains a negative sign, as in D8.1S-. If you use D8.1S the style-sheet declaration works.

If you explain what you are attempting to achieve, perhaps we can help. Why are you using SQUEEZE on a numeric column? Wouldn't LEFTGAP on the column do the same thing?

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
The SQUEEZE function is for reducing the needed space in a alpha string field to the available space.

Suppose you have a field with size A20 and that holds the names of you customers, but you have not enough space in the report you can squeeze the space to less than the needed A20.
Now it displays only the first say 10 characters.
What you will see is something like

code     unsqueezed            squeezed
12345    abcdefghijklmnopqrst  abcdefghij!

The "!" indicates that there are more characters but the field is abbreviated in the report.

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Francis - tried with leftgap / rightgap but it is not showing again. Anyway the problem is solved converting it to an alphanumeric field. Thanks. Frank - I've always used squeeze not only with alphanumeric but even with numeric and all sorts of fields ( yymd e.g.) and it works. But this is the first I encounter this problem. If it is a bug - I would have it in mind. Thanks a lot guys .

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Here is a solution to the problem ( with the example above ):

DEFINE FILE CAR
TEMP_T/D8.1S = -WIDTH;
MYFORMAT/A8 = 'D8.1S-';
END
-RUN

TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT