Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
ADA Compliance
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
Hi,

Are there ways in WebFocus to make reports(FocExec reports and reports with Launch pages) ADA Compliant? What techniques do you guys use?

WebFocus 7.1
Developer Studio

Posts: 35 | Location: Tallahassee,Florida | Registered: March 16, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
The simple answer is it is quite difficult, though WebFocus reports can be okay if simple and use the accessible=on parameter; WebFocus standard launch pages are almost a non-starter if you are serious, though getting better. You can even get a maintain pretty compliant.

Normally I recommend someone reads the W3C WAI documents, uses the W3C validator as a minimum to help understand all considerations.

I have found it simpler (not essential) to start from a point of working to W3C standards guidelines and hand code all launch pages and wrap reports in my own HTML, a basic self service approach. I have not found any web development tool to be perfect (yet), though again they are getting better.

For first testing I use firefox with the Web Developer, Fangs and HTML Validator extensions, follow up with other validators.

A lot can be achieved really quite quickly following the KISS principle and common sense, the more complex you make pages the harder it is to comply.

Of course there is not full agreement in the web world on accessibility implementation, but I found a good starting point at A LIST apart.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Hey Alan,

Thank you for responding.
Recently I created a report for our department to be posted on the internet and it did not pass the accessibility test. It was a report with a launch page and a frame in the same page. Basically the top part which was the form was not readable by the software they were using at all! I'm using WebFocus version 7.1. It doesn't use form tags or tables. So the column headings were not readable either. I guess like you said basically I have to hand-code everything.

WebFocus 7.1
Developer Studio

Posts: 35 | Location: Tallahassee,Florida | Registered: March 16, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I do really have problems with frames and accessibility, I find best to avoid if possible. The Tables output from a report may 'just' be okay if you surround with your own HTML. Otherwise I found myself outputing to a SAVE file and -READing the data to be output on the page!
Good luck.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post