Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [Solved] WF Maintain -- this.value doesn't work in JavaScript?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[Solved] WF Maintain -- this.value doesn't work in JavaScript?
 Login/Join

Virtuoso
posted
I'm attempting to use the "this" feature in JavaScript triggers to self-reference fields on the screen, and it does not connect.

Example:

alert(this.value);

Has anyone gotten this to work?

J.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: John_Edwards,

Posts: 1012 | Location: At the Mast | Registered: May 17, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Ok, this is how you do it:

function OnEditBox2_Focus ( )  {
  if (document.activeElement.value == '.') document.activeElement.value = '';
}

You people all owe me big.

J.

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
John,

Here is an example from an old WF reporting front end app I did quite a few years ago:

<select name="EVALDATE" style="margin-left:0px;" onblur="TestEvalDate(this.value);">

Checking my DHTML manual, 'this' is really only used in event handlers and object constructors.

Regards,
Dave

http://www.daveayers.com

WebFocus/Maintain 7.6.4-8
on Win2000 and 2003 Server

Posts: 165 | Location: Detroit Metro | Registered: September 17, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting!

I experimented with that sort of thing in Maintain and I could not get it to function correctly. The example above is fully sufficient. Nice and clean -- create one edit field and then cut-and-paste to have the trigger appear and function correctly on all the edit fields on the page.

J.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind that when you use "this" it relates to the parent element.

Thats why when it is in the "on" event it works.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Uh, it's not working in the On event. That's why I asked the question. The activeElement does though, so it is workable here.

J.

Expert
posted Hide Post
One thing that maintain does with winforms for javascript, is to create a function to wrap around your script. Its like having the following...

<input type=button value="click here" onclick="On_Button_Click()">
function On_Button_Click() {
 alert(this.value);
}

The 'this' in the function does not rel;ate to the control.

Below will work because the 'this' is in the control.

<input type=button value="click here" onclick="On_Button_Click(this.value)">
function On_Button_Click(txt) {
 alert(txt);
}

This is one of my pet hates for Maintain. There is a level of control you do not get with on events. What I do, for example, is create my own controls in an HTML object, and put that on the form. The HTML is what I coded not what Maintain generates.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
activeElement could prove to be very useful to you then as well, as it greatly simplifies the issue, providing context in the trigger without the need for explicit definition of the object.

J.

Expert
posted Hide Post
I agree, do you know which browsers support it ?

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
It's part of HTML 5. FF3 and IE6 both support it, Opera appears to, don't know about Safari. In spite of Apple's incessant efforts it is not installed on my machine so I can't test it.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Works with Opera, and Chrome

Doesn't with Safari

Waz...

In Focus since 1984