Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     WebFOCUS 8.0.08 - Change Management is very poor

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
WebFOCUS 8.0.08 - Change Management is very poor
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
Has anyone else become annoyed with Change Management in WF 8?

We've lost several features, so it gone from middling to poor in quality.

When we created a Change Management Extract package in WF 7, we could download it to the desktop, navigate to the other environment and point the Change Management Load process to the downloaded file.

Now we have to use Windows to copy the Change Management Extract package folder from one server's CM folder to the other server's CM folder. We may not have access to these folders.

When we ran the Change Management Load process in WF 7, we could check the "Backup packages" option which backed up all the entities we were about to update. Then, if necessary, we could load the backed up entities to revert the changes.

Now we have to create a Change Management Extract package on the target server to use as the backup to enable us to revert. Heaven help us if we didn't include exactly the same files as the ones we're about to update.

Choosing the files to add to the Change Management Extract package is annoying as well. We cannot see the Last Update Date or any other information other than the entity id. We must have Dev Studio open with the Explorer window contents sorted in reverse Last Updated Date/Time order so we can choose the appropriate entities in Change Management.

This is certainly not enterprise quality software. And I've been told to stay away from using Change Management to deploy files on the reporting server and on the web server - it's safe only for the Content area.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
And you only see entity titles, not file names.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi,

Webfocus can move the change package for you.
We have dev test and prod environements and let webfocus move the files. To do this go to the administration console. Select Application settings, Application Directories then set your export directory to the directory on the server that you are wanting the code to be on.

for example on our dev box we set the export directory to be the UNC name for the import direcotry on our test box. You do have to restart the client for this to take effect.

We have put requests in for enhancements to change management.

One we would like to see is the ability to schedule.

Anyway hope this helps a little

Crystal

Webfocus 8.0.7 on Windows

Posts: 176 | Location: Ohio | Registered: October 26, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Crystal, thanks for the suggestion. This will only work if the servers can talk to each other. We have Dev, QA, UAT and Prod and I'm pretty sure none of them talk to each other.

Regards,

Francis

Guru
posted Hide Post
One thing it makes it more difficult, is that if your client is clustered and have SSO going, you end up taking a stab at what side of the cluster your trying to get. I end up having it copied to both sides of the cluster.

I agree -
It would be nice to have an upload/download to your local desktop. Makes it handy when you don't have access to the file system in QA/Prod.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05

Master
posted Hide Post
I think I might be alone on this one... But I actually find CM to be an improvement on 77. I find it easier to organize and maintain. Also I can move almost everything this way, where I had to do my RS files, Security, and Web Files seperately before. To your point of its not simple to copy the files, I do agree that this could be improved upon. My opinion is that you should be able to define your lower level environment and connection credentials. This would solve the issue of not having access to a UAT/Prod environment. And you can maintain who has access to what through WebFOCUS security rules.

At the moment moving files is not an issue for me, I use a naming convention and enforce the same on my developers. Here we have a linux jump host for moving files between environments, So I just SCP the files to the jump host that I need (SCP file_abbrev*), and then back into the import directory of the Environment I need it in. Its a very simple process for me.

Eric Woerle
8.1.05M Gen 913- Reporting Server Unix
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Posts: 750 | Location: Warrenville, IL | Registered: January 08, 2013Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
You can create a focexec that list all the directories in the cm\emports folder. for there have a multi drill that allows the user to 1 show archives, or 2 create new archive. I call them archives really they are just zip files that a WebFOCUS procedure creates from the cm\exports\?? folder. the zip file we use has the date and time as part of the name along with the folder name. and it then copies/deletes the from from exports to a folder under apps on the reporting server. from that we select which zip file we want and a wf procedure generates the download url. we then download the zip file and send it to whoever is going to be running import process. for now the importer has to remote into the machine and unzip the file. But you could create an upload servlet that allows them to upload the file, unzips it, and presents them with a button to import vis a Restful WebService call. Thats the power of WebFOCUS you an do anything if you think about it. Just food for thought.

Scott

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's the power of WebFOCUS you an do anything if you think about it
I think we need to tell IBI that. All the smart people will build their own add-on functionality to the CM tool, when the CM tool should already have the functionality.

The biggest annoyance for me is that there is no decent way to determine which files I want to include in a package. The tool is extremely rudimentary.

Francis

Master
posted Hide Post
Agreed that its rudimentary, but the old version was even more so. Even though it has a lot of room to grow, At least I use it, when I wouldn't touch it before.

Eric Woerle
8.1.05M Gen 913- Reporting Server Unix
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Posts: 750 | Location: Warrenville, IL | Registered: January 08, 2013Report This Post