Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Javascript in Maintain Disconnected in Migration from v5 to v7

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Javascript in Maintain Disconnected in Migration from v5 to v7
 Login/Join

posted
We're migrating from WebFOCUS v5 to v7.6 and now all the Javascripts are no longer part of the Maintain forms for whatever reason. In v5, we would simply redrag the script back to some empty part of the Winform and it would reassociate the Javascript.

The v7 software will not let me drag and drop the Javascript from the v7 project library in Maintain to the Winform to reassociate the script. Is this a change because of the upgrade? Is there an easier way to mass reconnect all the Javascripts, since the names are still in the Winforms minus the actual Java code (e.g. only 1 line with a single space per script). These were originally Javascripts generated by the IBI Maintain software, not custom coded Javascripts.

The drag and drop of the .js files generated by WebFOCUS to reconnect still works in the V5 DevStudio. We are deploying our modules to PDSes on the mainframe for use by the Web-based user interface.

There is some mention of dragging the entire library of Javascripts to the Maintain forms help screen, but I can't drag any folders only individual files to select places.

Any ideas on how to easily reconnect all the Javascripts?

This was a common problem in v5 when editing the form, but we simply redragged the script to an area on the form without any objects.

Closed as Solved but when moving from one infrastructure path to another I believe this will once again become an issue. Did not see a solution that would resolve the issue when moving to a completely different path on another server.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Joe Elliott,

WebFOCUS 7.x (outdated v5 in prod and migrating to version 7.6 in test) VM Windows 2003 server / Windows XP client & MVS z/OS deployed environment
All output

Posts: 18 | Location: Columbus, OH or England | Registered: January 24, 2011Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Joe

I have never migrated v5 to v7. However the drag capability is still there in v7. Don't drag form the project explorer on the left but from the Exploring - Developers Studio Desktop.

Not sure why the js cannot be dragged from the Project Explorer, it would be easier.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Joe
As Alan said you can still drag and drop. Arrange your screen so you can see Dev Studio AND your winform. Then drag the JS file from the list onto the form. I only can do one at a time. I hope that the rest of your migration goes smoothly.

Mark

Posts: 663 | Location: New York | Registered: May 08, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I did arrange the windows so I could drag from the Dev Studio Explorer window and the WinForm within the Maintain window. It may have been because I had just dragged the Javascripts from a v5 folder on one server to a v7 folder on another. Knowing I should be able to drag scripts in v7, I closed and restarted DevStudio and Maintain. After the restart I was able to drag scripts to an open area on the form. Kind of a pain to have to do this for 5 applications each with many screens. Would be nice if this could be done in mass.

Thanks for your help!

WebFOCUS 7.x (outdated v5 in prod and migrating to version 7.6 in test) VM Windows 2003 server / Windows XP client & MVS z/OS deployed environment
All output

Posts: 18 | Location: Columbus, OH or England | Registered: January 24, 2011Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Hi Joe,
I have a version of 526. I made sure a JS file was embedded on a winform. I then used the migration utility to move that project to 7702. The JS file was still embedded. I had to make sure that the JS file was included in the project, but it WAS there. When I click on the + next to the form I see the name.

Are your files embedded or Linked? That could be the difference.

Mark

posted Hide Post
I believe they are embedded in the forms in v5. One of the challenges is that there are multiple v5 project folders that I need to pull from for source code. I could combine them on the v5 platform and then migrate. Where do I find additional information about the migration utility?

All output

Master
posted Hide Post
In the online documentation:
Developing WebFOCUS Maintain Applications > Migrating Applications to Version 7.

Mark

posted Hide Post
quote:
Developing WebFOCUS Maintain Applications

Thanks again for the information. When referencing the material, it appears you do not need to use the migration tool in migrating from v5 per the statement below from the docs:
"Reference: Usage Notes for Project Migrator
Version 5 applications do not require the use of the Project Migrator when moving to Version 7."

In order to migrate from v5, I would have to combine multiple v5 project folders into one base source code library project folder and then migrate to v7. Is it worth the effort to do this because of some functionality that the project migration utility provides? Will it help keep the scripts imbedded in the maintain modules?

All output

Master
posted Hide Post
I tried both scenarios this morning: using the migration tool and not using the migration tool and in both cases the JS file stayed embedded.

Did anything change? We store the server name and application path in the WFM file. Did either the server or project path change?

Mark

posted Hide Post
Yes, we did move to an entirely new infrastructure which may have been the culprit. The odd part is that all the scripts were still on the forms, they were just not included when the Winform was generated in the deployed environment. The good news is that if you re-embed one of the Javascripts then all the other scripts somehow pick up the change. I did not know this when I first posted the issue. In other words, if you fix one embeded script then every other embedded script in your app will change from having a red X on it to being properly imbedded in the forms.

All output

posted Hide Post
Would like to understand what the root cause is for the following situation:

Copy the .mnt files from one folder to another and embedded Javascripts are still there but not working. Sometimes they have a Red X on them in the target project folder, sometimes not. Everything works fine in the source project folder. This happens sometimes even if you are staying on the same testing server, but more frequently when you move to a different server.

The method to fix it is known, but somewhat time consuming. You have to open up every form and look to see if the right navigation tree in Maintain shows a Javascript. If so, then you embed a second copy of the same Javascript on that particular form. Since you now have two copies of the same named Javascript on the form, you can delete the first (original) one. Be sure to save the form by closing it and deploying the change. End result is that the replaced/deployed WinForm now has multiple lines for each Javascript instead of just one line with a blank in it.

When you drop the first Javascript in an Application, all the red X errors go away, but unfortunately it does not fix all of the disconnects. Not certain why some are reconnected and some are not (maybe only those with the same name script).

Now if anyone has a suggestion on how to avoid disconnecting the Javascripts from the forms when moving from folder to folder, I'd like to hear the solution.

All output

Master
posted Hide Post
Joe
I believe the issue is pathing. When you place any resource file on a form (image, js, etc...) we store the path to that file. We store the server name and the project path. When you deploy that application, we replace that information with the path that you are depoying to.

When you migrate, if you change your path, the resource file gets lost. Maintain cannot find it when you open the MNT file in the MDE. That's it as far as I know.

Mark