Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Arial Narrow font does not work in PDF file

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Arial Narrow font does not work in PDF file
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
When I produce a PDF report using the font Arial Narrow from a WebFOCUS 6.2 .fex, the font defaults to Courier. Do I need to do something to Adobe Reader in order to use Arial Narrow?

Kent

Windows2003 Server, WebFOCUS 7.7.02 Developers Studio and MRE

Posts: 63 | Location: Ft. Wayne, IN | Registered: February 20, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Does the normal Arial font work?
Is that font installed on your WF server.

I'm almost sure it's not the Adobe Reader that gives the problem.

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
When outputing PDF and you specify ARIAL as the font WebFOCUS maps it I think to Helvetica. If you want to use true ARIAL fonts you have to purchase 3rd party fonts. We have purchanse all of our ARIAL fonts.

(Production: WebFOCUS 7.1.3 on Win 2K/IIS 6/CGI)
(Test: WebFOCUS 7.1.3 on Win 2K/IIS 6/CGI)

Posts: 104 | Location: Boston | Registered: April 23, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
here's the adobe link
http://www.adobe.com/products/fontfolio/pdfs/datasheet.pdf

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Once you obtain the TYPE 1 font you'll have to add it to the PDF.FMP file, otherwise the reporting server won't be able to recognize it.

Master
posted Hide Post
Anyone know if the target system needs the font installed or does PDF copy the font into the document structure?

Either way there's a copyright or unable to display problem.

Server: WF 7.6.2 ( BID/Rcaster) Platform: W2003Server/IIS6/Tomcat/SQL Server repository Adapters: SQL Server 2000/Oracle 9.2
Desktop: Dev Studio 765/XP/Office 2003 Applications: IFS/Jobscope/Maximo

Posts: 888 | Location: Airstrip One | Registered: October 06, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
As far as I know the fonts need to be on the server ( and this was copied from wikipedia)

quote:

Base 14 Fonts

There are fourteen typefaces that have a special significance to PDF documents: Times Roman (in standard, italic, bold, and bold oblique), Courier (in standard, oblique, bold and bold oblique), Helvetica (in standard, oblique, bold and bold oblique), Symbol and Zapf Dingbats. These should always be present (actually present or a close substitute) and so need not be embedded in a PDF. [2] PDF viewers must know about the metrics of these fonts. Other fonts may be substituted if they are not embedded in a PDF.

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
We are running WF 7.1.3

The Type 1 fonts and the WebFOCUS pdf.fmp file are located in the ibi\srv71\home\etc directory.

This is the code for the ArialNarrow fonts from our pdf.fmp file.

font=ArialNarrowMT, style=normal, metricsfile=AN______ AFM *,
fontfile=AN______ PFB *, $

font=ArialNarrowMT, style=bold, metricsfile=ANB_____ AFM *,
fontfile=ANB_____ PFB *, $

font=ArialNarrowMT, style=italic, metricsfile=ANI_____ AFM *,
fontfile=ANI_____ PFB *, $

font=ArialNarrowMT, style=bold+italic, metricsfile=ANBI____ AFM *,
fontfile=ANBI____ PFB *, $

In the ibi\srv71\home\etc directory you must include both the AFM and PFB font file.

The Arial Narrow fonts are authored by MonoType. We bought them from Fonts.com

Lenny

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Actually, the font files only need to be in the server path somewhere. We keep all our "non-standard" fonts along with our logos in an app directory included in the apppath

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
i've been assigned the task of producing pdf's in chinese... leaving aside the fact that moi je ne parle pas... you're suggesting its possible, Darin & Lenny,...if i load the font set in the right path...

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure if WebFOCUS with support the Chinese character set. I believe that more than the std 256 character set would be required.
Lenny