Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
XFOCUS ERROR
 Login/Join

posted
Hi All,
I have changed my WEBFOCUS database to XFOCUS , Focus database had 4 partitions which were logically joining to 1 logical mart (e.g: 4 partitions as temp_part1.foc, temp_part2.foc, temp_part3.foc, temp_part4.foc and logical foc file as TEMP_PART.FOC). for changing to XFOCUS i have made SUFFIX as XFOCUS and in the fex code i have set XFOCUS = ON .also since i am creating FOC files in the code itself (along with building the indexes) there i have given FORMAT XFOCUS instead of FOCUS. e.g:
TABLE FILE TEST
PRINT
ON TABLE HOLD AS TEMP_PART1 FORMAT XFOCUS INDEX T1 T2 T3
etc.
While running for the first time the fex file gives proper output through report caster, but if i am running the code for ongoing loads, where it is using modify statements, error is coming DATA NOT FOUND FOR FILE TEMP_PATH(logical file pointed by partitions).
Do we need to change something in ACX file also.
one more question, i am changing FOCUS to XFOCUS because report using this partitioned mart is taking lot of time, is XFOCUS only way to increase the performnace so that report generation takes less time or there is some more way.

Thanks & Regards,
cdprasad

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
cdprasad,

When you are MODIFYing a partioned data file, you have to explicitly allocate the file that you want to update.

So to MODIFY TEMP_PART1:
USE
TEMP_PART1.FOC AS TEMP_PART
END
MODIFY FILE TEMP_PART

The acx file is used ONLY during reporting.

Performance of any data file requires a proper analysis of the data and how it is being used. The hierarchical structure of FOCUS can produce very fast response times if designed correctly. However using an ON TABLE HOLD AS xxx FORMAT XFOCUS will not produce, unless you are very lucky, a performant data structure. This HOLD type is really for very temporary, small, structures where a simple HOLD won't give you the result you need.

You should design the data structure that best suits your reporting needs, and load with MODIFY, otherwise you will not get any great performance from your data file.

Do not over do indices, they can be useful, but not always, particularly not on key fields of a good structure.

IB used to give a DB design course, which was very helpful in understanding how data is retrieved and how to get great performance. I think it was a 2 or 3 day course, so not a subject that can be covered in anything other than basics here.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post