Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Page not returning large data set - why?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Page not returning large data set - why?
 Login/Join

<Joe Filtz>
posted
Hi guys:

Here is the deal. We are Webfocus 5.2.3. We are running IBM WebSphere application server.

I have a relatively large table (couple of hundred thousand rows with about 40 columns per). Don't ask how it got created and changing the structure is not really an option at this point.

I have a report that basically dumps out some simple customer history data. Depending on the sales office, the result set returned can be 1000 rows by 40 columns or 18,000 rows by 40 columns.

I never know ahead of time what office the users will run the report for. When a large office with lots of transactions run it on-line, the page never returns (returns a WebSphere 500 error). When a small office runs it, it is ok. This happens whether I take it to HTML, Excel or PDF. It will generate but not render. I have not been able to determine the exact number of rows that will be returned successfully - it seems to be more of a combination of rows * columns.

I talked to somebody at the user group and they said that it was a function of the memory on the webserver. I talked to somebody else and they said it was a function of WebSphere.

What is interesting is that I generate it through report-caster and e-mail it to myself, it works ok (the pdf is 7MB in size). Because this report is dynamically generated, using report-caster is not an option either.

So, is the problem with WebFocus, the webserver or WebSphere. Is there some setting that needs to be set within Webfocus that I could adjust?

Thanks....joe

Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Joe

We are beginning to see the same unpredictable behavior with Brio (Windows) to ODBC (Windows Brio's On-demand Server) to iWay (unix) to FOCUS files (same unix box). The report run yesterday dies with an Internal Server Error today. Two other people try the same query, one gets it, the other doesn't. Then 1/2 hour later, the opposite 2 people have success!

Brio requests to Oracle have not experienced this.

We are at 5.3.2 with 5.3.2 ODBC adapter (connector? driver? never know what to call it).

Any suggestions appreciated.

Suzy

Posts: 124 | Location: Lebanon, New Hampshire | Registered: April 24, 2003Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Joe, I don't know what might be causing your problem. If report caster works you can use the the API and allow the user to "Run Once and Delete". If you have not done so please open a case with NY support maybe someone there can help.

<WFUser>
posted
If you think the size of the answer set may be related to the problem, try SET WEBVIEWER=ON and return in HTML. If users need to return large answer sets in other formats, have them use Report Caster or Run Deferred.

Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
SET WEBVIEWER=ON may help with WebFOCUS, but the problem we are having is with iWay. Does anyone know whether setting WEBVIEWER=ON would work with iWay?

Thanks. Suzy

Posts: 124 | Location: Lebanon, New Hampshire | Registered: April 24, 2003Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
WEBVIEWER is for WebFOCUS