Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Focus Internals Question: Caching

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Focus Internals Question: Caching
 Login/Join

Master
posted
So, I'm pretty much a noob at WebFOCUS but I have a question on some of the internal workings of the product.

I have a FEX that is producing a rather large PDF file (22 MB / 618 pages) and I notice the first run takes several minutes but the subsequent run(s) (for the same parameter information) take a considerably shorter time. This leads me to believe there is some caching occuring on the server. FWIW, the FEX is using ON TABLE HOLD statements. I'm guessing this is the case, but would someone mind confirming? Thanks!

- ABT

P.S. There is no burning urgency or break/fix associated with this question, - just something to satisfy my curiosity.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ABT,

------------------------------------
WF Environment:
Server/Client, ReportCaster, Dev Studio: 7.6.11
Resource Analyzer, Resource Governor, Library, Maintain, InfoAssist
Application/Web Server: Tomcat 5.5.25
Java: JDK 1.6.0_03
Authentication: LDAP, MRREALM Driver
Output: PDF, EXL2K, HTM

Databases:
Oracle 10g
DB2 (AS/400)
MSSQL Server 2005
Access/FoxPro

Posts: 561 | Registered: February 03, 2010Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I doubt there's any WebFOCUS "caching" occurring. Rather, it's probably the intelligent DBMS software that determines that the request is the same as a recent one...

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Depending on where you're running your request from, it is also possible that the caching is taking place in your own Internet browser.

For instance, most of our reports are accessed through an ASP-driven web application with final calls to the WFServlet and whenever we submitted a URL that looked exactly the same as that of another previously sent request ( from the same workstation) , the results came back almost immediately and we could tell they represented a "cached" version because they didn't reflect last minute changes to either the report layout or the data.

My workaround was to make sure (as much as I can) that no URL matches another one sent from the same workstation during a short time span, so I just use a dummy parameter with a looooong random number (generated with Javascript) that always gets added to the URL before WF receives the request.

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Indeed, the caching is done by the browser. There are ways to specify that whatever is being sent to the browser expires immediately. Effectively, the browser will then never use caching. I just forgot where this can be set - could be some browser setting, but I think it is more likely a webserver setting.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Indeed!

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
This would not be a browser caching issue, unless the browser was caching the data returned by the database calls.

From the first query to the second, I am changing the internal structure of the program -- nothing that will affect the data returned. Pre change, it takes a few minutes. Post change it returns in considerably less time.

Best answer so far is Francis'.

- ABT

WF Environment:

Databases:
Oracle 10g
DB2 (AS/400)
MSSQL Server 2005
Access/FoxPro

Posts: 561 | Registered: February 03, 2010Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:

Best answer so far is Francis'.

Sorry, I did not know this was a contest. However I'm with you on that! Francis is a great supportive guy in the forum and his tips are excellent not to mention timely.

Please let us know once you find the culprit in your issue so we can keep that information handy in case we face similar cases in our own environments.

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Turn on SQL tracing. If the SQL looks the same for both requests, it's probably the DBMS (of which you've told us nothing about).

Francis

Master
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. This was not a contest and not an issue, but I appreciate all of your input.

WF Environment:

Databases: