Focal Point
[CLOSED] WF v8 Source Control??

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/2067060876

August 26, 2015, 01:33 PM
Craig R.
[CLOSED] WF v8 Source Control??
OK, so I'm fairly new to the v8 party. (A couple months, to be exact, as we've been migrating our apps from v7.7 to v8.1.04.) I've been using App Studio when I can, and Dev Studio as I discover something AS simply can't handle with the aplomb we were assured would be there(!).

I'm now looking into the source control aspect, which, of course, is still there in Dev Studio. NOT finding it in App Studio, though. Just read a post which indicates that this feature won't appear on the AS scene until v8.2! Can anyone chime in on how they're coping with this fundamental need in their environment??

Craig

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Craig R.,

v8.1.04, 64-bit Windows (Reporting Server), Apache Tomcat (Web/App Server), HTML, PDF, AHTML, Excel outputs
August 26, 2015, 06:11 PM
Waz
We are waiting for 8.2. Not much else that can be done. We do export and import to move from DEV to UAT to Prod, and keep backups just in case.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

August 27, 2015, 07:03 AM
MAdams1
We use to use projects and Deploy in Dev Studio but that was deprecated in App Studio.....they said not enough people used it. So now in v8 we develop everything in Content folders and not in projects and use change management. Plus we have to move everything from the existing projects to Content folders. It's a huge pain! Good luck!

WebFOCUS Server 8.1.05
Windows 2008 Server
WebFOCUS AppStudio 8.1.05
Windows 7 Professional
IE 11 and Chrome Version 43.0.2357.124 m.
Mostly HTML, PDF, Excel, and AHTML
August 27, 2015, 06:54 PM
StuBouyer
Missing source control in AS is one of my biggest annoyances at present.

Currently I'm spending more time in DS as source control is so important in the current project.

Where I do use AS I've started checking FEX or HTML files out via DS and then doing the work on them in AS and checking back in with DS.

Ohh, you also need to Data Management console if you want Master files in source control as neither DS or AS can do that with them.

Source control is less flaky in DS 8.0.09 but it is still far from being really useful. I hope that it gets properly integrated into AS and isn't just a kludged add-on like it is in DS.

WebFOCUS 8.2.03 (8.2.06 in testing)
August 28, 2015, 08:14 AM
Craig R.
Thanks, StuBouyer. I was thinking that I may have to do just what you're doing, i.e., source control through DS, develop through AS (for those limited occasions when I think I really will use AS!).

I did open a case on this. Wanted to hear from IBI what their recommendation was, considering the time, effort, and cost we're incurring in migrating to v8.1.04, and that there's just no way I could sell a v8.2 upgrade to my "handlers" at this point. Really disappointed in the direction WebFOCUS apparently is heading. The simplest query takes FOREVER to run, when compared to v7.7.05, both in DS and AS. Oh, wait, I guess that's being addressed in v8.1.05...

Craig

v8.1.04, 64-bit Windows (Reporting Server), Apache Tomcat (Web/App Server), HTML, PDF, AHTML, Excel outputs
September 23, 2015, 03:54 PM
Craig R.
IBI has confirmed that source control won't be available in AS till v8.2. What a glaring omission! I simply had no idea that such a fundamental feature would be absent in an IDE designed for "professional" development. Had I known, I, too, would have advised my company to time our v8 upgrade to v8.2. Just outrageous.

September 23, 2015, 04:06 PM
Francis Mariani
I have worked in organizations that have asked for source control since v5.3.2. We'll be lucky that this new feature will work properly right off the bat in 8.2.01...

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
September 23, 2015, 06:55 PM
Waz
Fingers crossed, though.

We really need it.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!