Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED]Sorting MtYY on X axis

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED]Sorting MtYY on X axis
 Login/Join

posted
Below is an example of a chart that has the HDATE function working and it allows me to sot the months just fine but does not take the year into account.

DEFINE FILE widgets
MONTHYR/I6MtYY = HDATE(COMPLETE_DATE, 'YYMD');
END

GRAPH FILE widgets
SUM WIDGETCOUNTS
BY MANAGER
ACROSS MONTHYR

My data set will be a rolling 12 month so it will cross years.

With this DEFINE the X axis looks like this:

Jan 2016 Feb 2016 March 2016 April 2015 April 2016 May 2015 May 2016 etc.

I need it to recognize the year so that the graph will begin at April 2015 and end with April 2016 then next month will show May 2015 to May 2016 and so on. This will change each month so creating the columns is not an option.

Is there a format where the sort will take the year into account and also be able to display on the X axis as MtYY?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Emily McAllister>,

7702, Windows7, html

Posts: 10 | Location: Minneapolis, Mn | Registered: February 27, 2013Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Did you try
ACROSS LOWEST COMPLETE_DATE NOPRINT
ACROSS MONTHYR

Vivian Perlmutter
Aviter, Inc.

WebFOCUS Keysheet Rel. 8.0.2
(Almost) 1001 Ways to Work with Dates thru Rel. 8.0.2
Focus since 1982
WebFOCUS since the beginning
Vivian@aviter.com

Posts: 191 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: April 29, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
That is the first thing that I tried.... It renders the chart with he Complete_Date data like its ignoring the NOPRINT. It also forces me to change the ON GRAPH SET GRAXIS from 1 to 2 I saw in some other posts that Versions after 8.0 do not allow two chart across fields. I am using APP Studio 8105.

7702, Windows7, html

Posts: 10 | Location: Minneapolis, Mn | Registered: February 27, 2013Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Well, then what about holding the data sorted in the correct order and then do the graph from that hold file using the one across.

Or... Can you just do a BY COMPLETE_DATE NOPRINT and avoid the double ACROSS?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Vivian,

Vivian Perlmutter
Aviter, Inc.

Focus since 1982
Vivian@aviter.com

Posts: 191 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: April 29, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I am still unable to resolve this.... The graph sorts the X - axis based on the first ACROSS field even if it is NOPRINT. It ignores the NOPRINT which seems crazy to me. So I can not use a hold file and can not use an extra BY to get the X axis the way the consumer wants it.
I saw a post by Ginny Jakes back in 2007 that touched on the issue of sorting by month number and display month name but I am using WF 8105. So I would think there would be a better way..... And actually I can get the month to sort correct its the year that isn't cooperating...

7702, Windows7, html

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
What does the Master - metadata - look like for that field? Can you have the usage mmddyy and keep the actual as yymmdd type format?

Hard to solve without looking at it... but hmmm

Vivian Perlmutter
Aviter, Inc.

Focus since 1982
Vivian@aviter.com

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Try this:

DEFINE FILE widgets
MONTHYR/I6MtYY = HDATE(COMPLETE_DATE, 'YYMD');
MONTHYR2/MtYY = MONTHYR;
END

GRAPH FILE widgets
SUM WIDGETCOUNTS
BY MANAGER
ACROSS MONTHYR2 

WebFOCUS 8.2.06

Posts: 210 | Location: Sterling Heights, Michigan | Registered: October 19, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi - This worked just as I need it to. Thank you!! One little thing though - The out put is like this - MAY, 2016. How do I get rid of the comma? I tried with this format: Mt|YY. But then the report gets an error.

7702, Windows7, html