Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Simple Table Req. yields weird results

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Simple Table Req. yields weird results
 Login/Join

Master
posted
I have created a flat file containing 10 records. I have been running my so-called simple fex to display these records in a
little report.

Every time I run this, I get this result:

PAGE 1

SVC_CD

I don’t understand WHY.

Here is the data in the txt file named: VENT_CD.TXT

Here is the simple code to hopefully display the records in that file:

-SET &ECHO=ALL;
FILEDEF VENT_CD DISK \\CLEVELANDPOINT\IBI\APPS\CIMDATA\VENT_CD.txt
-RUN
-SET &BEG1 = '20080901';
-SET &END1 = '20080901';
DEFINE FILE T2CHGDTL
SVC_CD/A7 = EDIT(FEEDER_KEY,'$$$$$$9999999');
END
TABLE FILE T2CHGDTL
PRINT SVC_CD
WHERE SVC_CD IN FILE VENT_CD;
-*IF RECORDLIMIT EQ 5
END
-RUN
-EXIT

Can anyone give me a hint?
Thx! Eeker

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Tomsweb
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M, 8.2.x
APP Studio, Developer Studio, InfoAssist, Dashboards, charts & reports
Apache Tomcat/8.0.36

Posts: 573 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: July 06, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
What is the value of FEEDER_KEY?

Try

PRINT
SVC_CD FEEDER_KEY

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
T2CHGDTL

Are there five rows in T2CHGDTL where the last 7 characters of FEEDER_KEY match the value 3370065 but no other matches?

Linux/zVM/WF7.6.11

Posts: 29 | Location: Washington DC | Registered: June 06, 2008Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:

FILEDEF VENT_CD DISK \\CLEVELANDPOINT\IBI\APPS\CIMDATA\VENT_CD.txt
-RUN

This needs to have LRECL xx RECFM F defined as well.

i.e.,

FILEDEF VENT_CD DISK \\CLEVELANDPOINT\IBI\APPS\CIMDATA\VENT_CD.txt LRECL xx RECFM F
-RUN

FEEDER_KEY seems to be a varchar; should be re-defined...
Tom

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
FILEDEF VENT_CD DISK \\CLEVELANDPOINT\IBI\APPS\CIMDATA\VENT_CD.txt LRECL 80 RECFM F
-RUN
-EXIT

And I got this error:

(FOC358) ERROR ISSUING FILEDEF COMMAND FOR: filedef VENT_CD DISK
\\CLEVELANDPOINT\IBI\APPS\CIMDATA\VENT_CD.txt LRECL 80 RE

? Frowner

Tomsweb
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M, 8.2.x
Apache Tomcat/8.0.36

Posts: 573 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: July 06, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Try
FILEDEF VENT_CD DISK \\CLEVELANDPOINT\IBI\APPS\CIMDATA\VENT_CD.txt (LRECL 80 RECFM F
Don't ask me why, but there's a round bracket before LRECL.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Thanks Francis

I have been coding FOCUS since 1988 and some days I feel so dense. Roll Eyes

Tomsweb
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M, 8.2.x
Apache Tomcat/8.0.36

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I think the filedef is not the issue.

What is it that you want....
List all the records that are in the file?

If so, you need to create a master that describes the file.
If this file is just a way to select the data from the database file T2CHGDTL than give us more info.
Both Dojo and myself think your database only holds FEEDER_KEY fields that has a value of '3370065' in the last 7 positions.
Your report is working as expected, so what do YOU want.

Frank

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Francis,

Thanks, MY BAD!

Tom

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
T2CHGDTL is a VERY LARGE DB2 Table, and I have isolated 10 codes that I want to use in a Rpt request. Those codes are stored in VENT_CD.TXT
flat file.

Ultimately I want a report that goes like:
DEFINE FILE T2CHGDTL
SVC_CD/A7 = EDIT(FEEDER_KEY,'$$$$$$9999999');
END

TABLE FILE T2CHGDTL
PRINT
Blah (FLDS FROM T2CHGDTL)
Blah
BY SVC_CD
WHERE SVC_CD in FILE VENT_CD;
END

My point in doing this was to just print the
ten values from the file.

I understand that if I create a MFD for this
VENT_CD file, I can just go against that for
a simple report to verify the values.

However, I thought I could get these 10 values
to display in a report by doing some code with
if SVC_CD NE LAST SVC_CD, etc., but that is not
working out either.

Winky

Tomsweb
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M, 8.2.x
Apache Tomcat/8.0.36

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
round bracket

Part of Focus's CMS heritage. In CMS FILEDEF, the trailing "options" are parenthesised, to set them off from the positional arguments; the closing parenthesis is optional, and typically omitted.

- Jack Gross
WF through 8.1.05

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
That still does not answer the question why you get these 5 records.

Waht do you get if you say

WHERE SVC_CD EQ '3370085'OR '3160407' OR '3160502' OR '3370065' OR '3370165' OR '3370265'
OR '3370614' OR '3370615' OR '3370616' OR '3370617';

If you still get the same 5 records the problem appears not to be the filedef....

Frank

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I'm with Frank - unless there is some other reason you need to use an external file, don't make it more complicated than it needs to be. If his code doesn't get you the right answer, there's some other problem. Sneaky suspicion if the FEEDER KEY field.

Having said that, it is not a very good idea to use a defined field in your selection criteria. In effect, it selects ALL records to the internal matrix, calculates the defined field, and THEN throws out the ones it doesn't need. Way too much I/O. Seems like it would work this way as well using the IN FILE method.

Last thought is to make sure that you are using the file that you think you are by checkking filedefs and locations with ? FI and WHENCE commands.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
There is one thing I think we need to answer this question, the Master file, can you post it?

I also think that Tom and Francis are on the money, once we see the master file, an appropriate LRECL can be used.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Tom,
I suspect that the Data type for column "FEEDER_KEY" might be defined as Alpha in the T2CHGDTL master file.
Update the Data type to Integer and give a try.
E.g.
FIELD=FEEDER_KEY,FEEDER_KEY,I13,I13,MISSING=ON, TITLE='Feeder Key',$

Version: WebFOCUS 7.6.6
O.S. WebFOCUS is mounted on Unix
Output Report: HTML, Excel, CSV, PDF and TXT

Master
posted Hide Post
QUERY TO DISPLAY FEEDER_KEY DATA:
[
TABLE FILE T2CHGDTL
PRINT
FEEDER_KEY
WHERE FEEDER_KEY CONTAINS '3370085' OR '3160407';
IF RECORDLIMIT EQ 5
END
-EXIT
]
ACTUAL FEEDER_KEY REPORT:
PAGE 1

FEEDER_KEY

MFD:
[
FILENAME=T2CHGDTL, SUFFIX=EDA , $
SEGMENT=T2CHGDTL, SEGTYPE=S0, $
FIELDNAME=COMPANY_CODE, ALIAS=COMPANY_CODE, USAGE=A5, ACTUAL=A5, $
FIELDNAME=ENCOUNTER_NUMBER, ALIAS=ENCOUNTER_NUMBER, USAGE=A20, ACTUAL=A20, $
FIELDNAME=MASTER_FILE_YEAR, ALIAS=MASTER_FILE_YEAR, USAGE=P5, ACTUAL=P3, $
FIELDNAME=DEPARTMENT, ALIAS=DEPARTMENT, USAGE=A10, ACTUAL=A10, $
FIELDNAME=DCM_PRODUCT_NODE, ALIAS=DCM_PRODUCT_NODE, USAGE=P12, ACTUAL=P7, $
FIELDNAME=FEEDER_SYSTEM, ALIAS=FEEDER_SYSTEM, USAGE=A5, ACTUAL=A5, $
FIELDNAME=FEEDER_KEY, ALIAS=FEEDER_KEY, USAGE=A20, ACTUAL=A20, $
FIELDNAME=DATE_OF_SERVICE, ALIAS=DATE_OF_SERVICE, USAGE=P9, ACTUAL=P5, $
FIELDNAME=CHARGE_DTL_POSTING_DATE, ALIAS=CHARGE_DTL_POSTING_DATE, USAGE=P9, ACTUAL=P5, $
FIELDNAME=ORDERING_PHYSICIAN, ALIAS=ORDERING_PHYSICIAN, USAGE=A10, ACTUAL=A10, $
FIELDNAME=TIME_OF_SERVICE, ALIAS=TIME_OF_SERVICE, USAGE=P7, ACTUAL=P4, $
FIELDNAME=CHGDTL_UB92_CODE, ALIAS=CHGDTL_UB92_CODE, USAGE=A10, ACTUAL=A10, $
FIELDNAME=CHGDTL_CPT4_CODE, ALIAS=CHGDTL_CPT4_CODE, USAGE=A9, ACTUAL=A9, $
FIELDNAME=CHARGE_DETAIL_MODIFIER_1, ALIAS=CHARGE_DETAIL_MODIFIER_1, USAGE=A2, ACTUAL=A2, $
FIELDNAME=CHARGE_DETAIL_MODIFIER_2, ALIAS=CHARGE_DETAIL_MODIFIER_2, USAGE=A2, ACTUAL=A2, $
FIELDNAME=CHARGE_DETAIL_MODIFIER_3, ALIAS=CHARGE_DETAIL_MODIFIER_3, USAGE=A2, ACTUAL=A2, $
FIELDNAME=DAY_OF_STAY, ALIAS=DAY_OF_STAY, USAGE=P6, ACTUAL=P4, $
FIELDNAME=FISCAL_YEAR, ALIAS=FISCAL_YEAR, USAGE=P5, ACTUAL=P3, $
FIELDNAME=FISCAL_PERIOD, ALIAS=FISCAL_PERIOD, USAGE=P3, ACTUAL=P2, $
FIELDNAME=CLINICAL_DAY_TYPE, ALIAS=CLINICAL_DAY_TYPE, USAGE=P4, ACTUAL=P3, $
FIELDNAME=FINANCIAL_DAY_TYPE, ALIAS=FINANCIAL_DAY_TYPE, USAGE=P4, ACTUAL=P3, $
FIELDNAME=OTHER_DAY_TYPE, ALIAS=OTHER_DAY_TYPE, USAGE=P4, ACTUAL=P3, $
FIELDNAME=PROCEDURE_QUANTITY, ALIAS=PROCEDURE_QUANTITY, USAGE=P13.2, ACTUAL=P7, $
FIELDNAME=PROCEDURE_ACTUAL_CHARGE, ALIAS=PROCEDURE_ACTUAL_CHARGE, USAGE=P13.2, ACTUAL=P7, $
FIELDNAME=DETAIL_QUANTITY, ALIAS=DETAIL_QUANTITY, USAGE=P17.6, ACTUAL=P9, $
FIELDNAME=DETAIL_ACTUAL_CHARGE, ALIAS=DETAIL_ACTUAL_CHARGE, USAGE=P13.2, ACTUAL=P7, $
FIELDNAME=DETAIL_STANDARD_CHARGE, ALIAS=DETAIL_STANDARD_CHARGE, USAGE=P13.2, ACTUAL=P7, $
FIELDNAME=DETAIL_STANDARD_VDL_COST, ALIAS=DETAIL_STANDARD_VDL_COST, USAGE=P13.4, ACTUAL=P7, $
FIELDNAME=DETAIL_STANDARD_VDS_COST, ALIAS=DETAIL_STANDARD_VDS_COST, USAGE=P13.4, ACTUAL=P7, $
FIELDNAME=DETAIL_STANDARD_VDO_COST, ALIAS=DETAIL_STANDARD_VDO_COST, USAGE=P13.4, ACTUAL=P7, $
FIELDNAME=DETAIL_STANDARD_FDL_COST, ALIAS=DETAIL_STANDARD_FDL_COST, USAGE=P13.4, ACTUAL=P7, $
FIELDNAME=DETAIL_STANDARD_FDE_COST, ALIAS=DETAIL_STANDARD_FDE_COST, USAGE=P13.4, ACTUAL=P7, $
FIELDNAME=DETAIL_STANDARD_FDF_COST, ALIAS=DETAIL_STANDARD_FDF_COST, USAGE=P13.4, ACTUAL=P7, $
FIELDNAME=DETAIL_STANDARD_FDO_COST, ALIAS=DETAIL_STANDARD_FDO_COST, USAGE=P13.4, ACTUAL=P7, $
FIELDNAME=DETAIL_STANDARD_VI_COST, ALIAS=DETAIL_STANDARD_VI_COST, USAGE=P13.4, ACTUAL=P7, $
FIELDNAME=DETAIL_STANDARD_FI_COST, ALIAS=DETAIL_STANDARD_FI_COST, USAGE=P13.4, ACTUAL=P7, $
FIELDNAME=DETAIL_ACTUAL_VDL_COST, ALIAS=DETAIL_ACTUAL_VDL_COST, USAGE=P13.4, ACTUAL=P7, $
FIELDNAME=DETAIL_ACTUAL_VDS_COST, ALIAS=DETAIL_ACTUAL_VDS_COST, USAGE=P13.4, ACTUAL=P7, $
FIELDNAME=DETAIL_ACTUAL_VDO_COST, ALIAS=DETAIL_ACTUAL_VDO_COST, USAGE=P13.4, ACTUAL=P7, $
FIELDNAME=DETAIL_ACTUAL_FDL_COST, ALIAS=DETAIL_ACTUAL_FDL_COST, USAGE=P13.4, ACTUAL=P7, $
FIELDNAME=DETAIL_ACTUAL_FDE_COST, ALIAS=DETAIL_ACTUAL_FDE_COST, USAGE=P13.4, ACTUAL=P7, $
FIELDNAME=DETAIL_ACTUAL_FDF_COST, ALIAS=DETAIL_ACTUAL_FDF_COST, USAGE=P13.4, ACTUAL=P7, $
FIELDNAME=DETAIL_ACTUAL_FDO_COST, ALIAS=DETAIL_ACTUAL_FDO_COST, USAGE=P13.4, ACTUAL=P7, $
FIELDNAME=DETAIL_ACTUAL_VI_COST, ALIAS=DETAIL_ACTUAL_VI_COST, USAGE=P13.4, ACTUAL=P7, $
FIELDNAME=DETAIL_ACTUAL_FI_COST, ALIAS=DETAIL_ACTUAL_FI_COST, USAGE=P13.4, ACTUAL=P7, $
FIELDNAME=CHGDTL_FLAG_1, ALIAS=CHGDTL_FLAG_1, USAGE=A1, ACTUAL=A1, $
FIELDNAME=CHGDTL_FLAG_2, ALIAS=CHGDTL_FLAG_2, USAGE=A1, ACTUAL=A1, $
FIELDNAME=CHGDTL_USER_AMOUNT, ALIAS=CHGDTL_USER_AMOUNT, USAGE=P13.4, ACTUAL=P7, $
FIELDNAME=CHGDTL_USER_FIELD_1, ALIAS=CHGDTL_USER_FIELD_1, USAGE=A10, ACTUAL=A10, $
FIELDNAME=CHGDTL_USER_FIELD_2, ALIAS=CHGDTL_USER_FIELD_2, USAGE=A10, ACTUAL=A10, $
FIELDNAME=ANESTHESIA_BASE_UNITS, ALIAS=ANESTHESIA_BASE_UNITS, USAGE=P8.2, ACTUAL=P4, $
FIELDNAME=ANESTHESIA_DURATION_MIN, ALIAS=ANESTHESIA_DURATION_MIN, USAGE=P5, ACTUAL=P3, $
]

Tomsweb
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M, 8.2.x
Apache Tomcat/8.0.36

Master
posted Hide Post
The problem isn't with VENT_CD or the OR option. You have multiple records with the equaling the first vent_cd. Try changing your code to SUM FEEDER_KEY BY FEEDER_KEY NOPRINT rather than PRINT and increase your RECORDLIMIT.

Pat
WF 7.6.8, AIX, AS400, NT
AS400 FOCUS, AIX FOCUS,
Oracle, DB2, JDE, Lotus Notes

Posts: 755 | Location: TX | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
With a suffix of EDA this data is coming from another WF or Iway server.

Pat's probably right, the request will keep reading until the WHERE clause is fulfilled, up to 5 records after the filter.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
My point in doing this was to just print the
ten values from the file.

If this is really the only reason IMHO it is not the best way.
You have a small text file with 10 numbers and to print it you use a big eda file from the server.
It's wasting report sources and time, even if it would take 10 seconds!
You can do a read and loop....

Frank