Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     assign users to group views?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
assign users to group views?
 Login/Join

Master
posted
we're having some trouble with users logging in to dashboard and seeing an older version of a certain group view rather than the current version as soon as they log in. They do not get a list of all the group views available to them. We've always had an issue with this, and we are not yet in production so it hasn't been a concern until now.

I'm reading this document...
http://documentation.informationbuilders.com/masterinde...6.htm,topicNumber=86

it doesn't seem to be much help. It even says that users with "multiple group views" are shown a list of all the group views available if the big-config.xml has a display personal value = false.

Am I looking in the right place? Is this a config issue?

Prod: Single Windows 2008 Server running Webfocus 7.7.03 Reporting server Web server IIS6/Tomcat, AS400 DB2 database.

Expert
posted Hide Post
1) The documentation you're pointing to is for WF 7.6.2. You're on 7.1.3. The new features described in 7.6.2 are not available in 7.1.3. Look for the correct documentation.

2) When the documentation states "inherits the look and content of that view" - the group view look/content is copied to the user view. If changes are made to the group view, the user view needs to be refreshed by the updated group view using Dashboard ViewBuilder > Manage Users > Reassign. (My experience is with v5.3.2)

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Hello Francis!
Thanks for the reminder, I've changed my sig to reflect that we're on 7.6.2 now.

Also, you're right on with the "reset" in "manage users". I figured there was a problem with configuration.

If I update a group view, do I have to reassign all the users that have that group view each time so that they will see it by default?

Prod: Single Windows 2008 Server running Webfocus 7.7.03 Reporting server Web server IIS6/Tomcat, AS400 DB2 database.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Jason, yes, unfortunately, I think that's right - you have to reassign all the users that have the modified group view.

I'll check the documentation to see if it's written down in bits and bytes.

Cheers.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I have to say the documentation is not very clear on this issue.

It states:
quote:
You can create a unique view for each group view. When you update a view, the view will be updated for all members of the group, even members logged into Dashboard with personal views

In another section:
quote:
Procedure: How to Reassign a User’s View
1. From the View Builder, click Manage Users.
2. Select the user or users you want to reassign.
3. Click Reassign.
4. Select the new view look from the drop-down list.
5. If you want to replace the user’s content with the content from the new view, click the
Replace User Content with View Content check box.
When you replace content, the user still has access to all of the domains (and the items
in those domains) they are assigned to. Only Dashboard specific items are replaced,
such as content pages and content blocks. The user’s Favorites and Recent lists are
cleared when you select the Replace User Content with View Content check box.
6. Click Submit.

In my experience, you must reassign the user to the updated group view (not "if you want").

Francis

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
As to my experience the users are NOT updated automatically. A user can create its own view and that is written to his personal xml file.
When and how he can recreate the updated view is something I would like to find out too.

If a user is logged in the reassign select field is grayed out, so I can not do anything till he/she is logged out.

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
very helpful.
thanks!

Master
posted Hide Post
You have to delete the users personal.xml files which contains their copy of what the public or group dashboard at the point they logged on.

You can do this from windows (not recommended) or from the view builder screen.

Server: WF 7.6.2 ( BID/Rcaster) Platform: W2003Server/IIS6/Tomcat/SQL Server repository Adapters: SQL Server 2000/Oracle 9.2
Desktop: Dev Studio 765/XP/Office 2003 Applications: IFS/Jobscope/Maximo

Posts: 888 | Location: Airstrip One | Registered: October 06, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
John, deleting the User file is an alternative to reassigning via the ViewBuilder, the ViewBuilder method is probably safer.

Francis