Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Joining created focus tables

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Joining created focus tables
 Login/Join

posted
I am having difficulty joining three tables I created from different oracle databases. The all are created as focus tables indexed by the same fields.

Example:

TABLE FILE SOURCE1
PRINT
FIELD1
BY KEY1
BY KEY2
BY KEY3
ON TABLE HOLD AS HOLDFILE1 FORMAT FOCUS INDEX KEY1 KEY2 KEY3
END

TABLE FILE SOURCE2
PRINT
FIELD2
BY KEY1
BY KEY2
BY KEY3
ON TABLE HOLD AS HOLDFILE2 FORMAT FOCUS INDEX KEY1 KEY2 KEY3
END

TABLE FILE SOURCE3
PRINT
FIELD3
BY KEY1
BY KEY2
BY KEY3
ON TABLE HOLD AS HOLDFILE3 FORMAT FOCUS INDEX KEY1 KEY2 KEY3
END

JOIN KEY1 AND KEY2 AND KEY3 IN HOLDFILE1 TO
KEY1 AND KEY2 AND KEY3 IN HOLDFILE2 AS JOIN1 END

KEY1 AND KEY2 AND KEY3 IN HOLDFILE3 AS JOIN2 END

TABLE FILE HOLDFILE1
PRINT
FIELD1
FIELD2
FIELD3
BY KEY1
BY KEY2
BY KEY3
ON TABLE HOLD AS RESULTTABLE FORMAT FOCUS
END

I receve the following message:

(FOC236) LINKED FILE DOES NOT HAVE A MATCHING KEY FIELD OR SEGMENT: HOLDFILE2

I am new to this version and a lot of what I did in 5.2.1 doesn't work the same. I have to review and change most FEXes. What am I doing wrong?

I tried this in both dev studio (713) and MRE.

I am using Webfocus 7.1.3. The reporting server is UNIX/AIX and the webserver is a Windows 2003 machine.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Tony

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
KEY1 AND KEY2 AND KEY3 IN HOLDFILE2 AS JOIN1 END

KEY1 AND KEY2 AND KEY3 IN HOLDFILE3 AS JOIN2 END

Don't hold files much as focus types, but try a minor adjustment to your joins to put 'join' on one line by itself and 'end' on one line by itself.

Do you have to hold as focus? Also, you may need to tag the fields.

Other thought do all the tables have data in them when passed, might need to set emptyreport on

Leah

Posts: 1317 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA | Registered: May 24, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
The FOCUS datafile doesn't support multi-field joins.

You can join from multiple fields to a single (or group) field. This is where the SQL tables have an advantage.

You can create a one field concatenation of the fields in your HOLDFILE2/3 and then index that field and then join the 3 fields to it, or concatenate in all threee files and join from /to a single field.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
if the fields in the 3 holdfiles are in fact the same, you should not use join.

TABLE FILE HOLDFILE1
PRINT FIELD1 FIELD2 FIELD3
BY KEY1
BY KEY2
BY KEY3
MORE
FILE HOLDFILE2
MORE
FILE HOLDFILE3
END

If the fields in the 3 holdfiles are different (so in fact FIELD4 etc, then you should either follow one of the earlier mentioned solutions or use the MATCH command.

Frank

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all.

I should have thought of the "more" solution.
That works for me.
Tony

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Why don't you do the join on the Oracle tables? Why do you need to create hold files at all. Let Oracle do the work.

Posts: 140 | Location: Adelaide South Australia | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post