Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] All records in hold file not printing

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] All records in hold file not printing
 Login/Join

posted
[SOLVED] I am having an issue with a HOLD file that I created not getting all the records to print.
-WRITE RUNTRAIL RMXLRPT READ 1904 RECORDS & FOUND 952 ,
MATCHES. NO FOCUS ERRORS 0 | RPT LINES= 952

I have 1904 records in the file and if I simply do a PRINT *, I am only getting 952 records back in the output. There are no WHERE statements, no BY statements, and no DEFINES.
I run several programs prior to this one in the same JCL with some MATCHES and JOINS before this HOLD file is created, but I have cleared all JOINS before running this program, so I know I don't have a JOIN in effect when this program runs.
Without printing the code here, does anyone have any clue what might be happening?
I am running this with JCL on an z/OS 1.10 mainframe operating system.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

FOCUS for Mainframe 7.2
Windows and IBM Z9 Mainframe processor
FOCUS, Excel

Expert
posted Hide Post
Is anything off-column? That is, does anything look funny? It may be that your master doesn't completely match the data. Or you might need an LRECL parameter on your allocation. Or there might be special characters in a text field that is messing it up.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Ginny,
Thanks for the suggestions. I will double check the master to the data in the HOLD file again. Nothing looks funny, but not all of the fields have data in them for each record. This doesn't seem to affect it though since some of the records that have missing data are printing.

FOCUS for Mainframe 7.2
FOCUS, Excel

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
if Ginny's suggestion does not work, add:
 SET FIXRETRIEVE=OFF  
before the print *.

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: May 26, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Solved! Ginny, you hit right on with the master file. I had one extra byte at the end of the master file description that is not in the file itself. Once I fixed the master, all the records came out!
Thanks! I wish I would have asked sooner! I've been driving myself crazy with it!

FOCUS for Mainframe 7.2
FOCUS, Excel

Expert
posted Hide Post
You're welcome. I been doing this for 25 years and in fact spent an hour with a novice user doing the same thing. Having an offset master can certainly produce some unexpected results. Big Grin

Another thing you can do in this predicament is do a CHECK FILE (available in Dev Studio from the virtual master directory). It will give you the total length of the fields in the master. Check that against what you think the actual record length is. Just another debugging tool.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have 1904 records in the file and if I simply do a PRINT *, I am only getting 952 records back in the output.

Notice that you were gtting exactly half of what you expected. This could have meant that FOCUS was showing you every other record (which, in fact it was). Hence a problem with the master file overlapping 2 records.

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, nice to know the why behind the fix! Thanks! Smiler

FOCUS for Mainframe 7.2
FOCUS, Excel