Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] MRE Reporting Object not showing the Text Editor

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] MRE Reporting Object not showing the Text Editor
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Hi,

I experienced one problem in MRE reporting objects area. If I want to code a report there are no "Text Editor" tool is available.So I have to use only the "Report Assistant" tool to create a reporting object.The strange thing I noticed here is that , If I copy the source code of the report which was created by "Report Assistant" , it contain some extra lines as given below

-DEFAULT &SECTION=WHERE
-IF &SECTION EQ 'WHERE' GOTO WHERE;
-IF &SECTION EQ 'SUFFIX' GOTO SUFFIX;
-* BEGIN OF IBIOBJECTS PROCESSING
-* END OF IBIOBJECTS PROCESSING
-PREFIX
-*Other
-*End Other

Here are my two doubts,

1) Is there any issues with my Dev Studio tool which is not showing the "Text Editor" tool. (I can see the "Text Editor" tool of the report is placed under "Standard Reports folder under MRE)

2) Why the extra line as I described above coming?

3) Also sometimes the entire code vanishes if I use the "Report Assistant". Any idea why ?

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated...

Thanks and Regards,
Johney Joseph.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Version 7.6.11
Webfocus installed in AIX 5.3,
desktop PC: Windows-XP based
Output: Excel, HTML, PDF

Guru
posted Hide Post
from my experience using the painter and the text editor is not a great idea- you need to stick to one or do one at a time- ie do the painter stuff then go and do the editor stuff but don't go back into painter...

that kind of answers 2 & 3 - the painter is just not smart enough to ignore certainly lines of code from the text editor and insists on adding its own lines to the code....

ive not used reporting objects but judging by the help file its not used for designing in but for holding elements of your report you want made avaiable...

even using the 'new' dialog only lets me select a data source i want to use- this indicates its synonymous with the Master Files area of the APP environment. this is because when you try and create a new item in the Master Files area it only allows you to set up a data source...

so don't mix painter and coding- do one at a time and treat Standard Reports as Procedures and Reporting Objects as Master Files

also take into account what i said here (third from bottom):

https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&...011055903#3011055903

i'd stick to coding in the standard area

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP
Output: mostly HTML, also Excel and PDF

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." - Heinlein's Razor

Posts: 285 | Location: UK | Registered: October 26, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Reporting objects require a certain coding structure to functional properly so use the tool supplied or don't use reporting objects.

Bottom line - if you use a text editor to change the code created by one of IBI tools then don't complain when your carefully hand coded report gets obliterated when you next open it within the tool!

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot Nubi and Tony....

Actually my requirement is like, to do some modification to the existing reporting objects(RO).So I dont want to convert my RO into standard report becuase end user still want to use the "Report Assistant" tool that has to be available from the MRE tree view control. If we change the RO to a standard report, we can use a "text editor" tool, but the "Report Assistant" will be absent in that case which is not a preferable one for end user.

So I want to get the "Text Editor" tool to code my RO which will help me to develop the report without any code loss/addition.Is there any way to get that ?

Thanks and Regards,
Johney Joseph.

Version 7.6.11
Webfocus installed in AIX 5.3,
desktop PC: Windows-XP based
Output: Excel, HTML, PDF

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
As Tony mentioned, the creation or reporint object is MUCH different than regular coding and requires a specific structure to work as a reporting object. Thus, you must use the Report Assistant so it gets created properly.

So the answer is no - there is no text edit functionality for reporting objects. You can edit those objects (they are in the MRV folder under the associated domain) at the system file level, but you're asking for trouble as the others mentioned because what you manually code may not be parsed correctly by the Report Assist tool that the users would use. If it works, great. If not, you're on your own. Techsupport will tell you that it is not supported and something that should not be done.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post