Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Newbie: Help with dumping to flat file

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Newbie: Help with dumping to flat file
 Login/Join

<Shed>
posted
I am working with Focus 68.5 and trying to create a flat file I can dump into a RDBM. Here is what I got so far.

?f trfpyf02

FILENAME= TRFPYF02

TRFCODE BARCODE STATUS

EQUID NOMEN MODEL SERIAL MFG
BLDG ROOM ACQ_DATE CUSTODY COST
DOCUMENT_NO MINVDTE MINVCOD MEXPTCOD DEPT
SHOP EQUIDSTAT NOTE1 NOTE2 PMEUSER
PMEDATE

AVBLDG AVROOM AVDEPT AVSHOP AVINVDTE
AVINVCOD AVEXPTCOD AVNOTE1 AVNOTE2 AVUSER
AVDATE

UNIX/FOCUS
>> use
� /focd/pme/foc/trfpyf02.foc

table file trfpyf02
> print
> EQUID NOMEN MODEL SERIAL MFG
> BLDG ROOM ACQ_DATE CUSTODY COST
> DOCUMENT_NO MINVDTE MINVCOD MEXPTCOD DEPT
> SHOP EQUIDSTAT NOTE1 NOTE2 PMEUSER
> PMEDATE
> by TRFCODE
> on table hold as pme2a FORMAT ALPHA
> end

One of mine problems is that in the output PMEUSER and PMEDATE are not seperated.

Also, is the TRFCODE, BARCODE, and STATUS primary keys. How do I get a grasp on this data structure from the focus tools?

Thanks
Shed

Report This Post
<monte2000>
posted
Hi Shed.

Just spoke to the Product Manager and here was his reply:

The reason PMEUSER and PMEDATE are not separated is probably because the data in those fields takes the entire field length, for example if it is A8 and the value is 12345678, there will be no spaces between it and the next value. This should only be an issue if you read the flat data file. Any reports you issue against the flat data file will display the fields as 2
separate entities.

Hope that helps.

Report This Post
<Shed>
posted
Thanks that bit of advise did help

Report This Post