Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] DS HTML Composer: Tab Index

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] DS HTML Composer: Tab Index
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
Happy New Year.

I don't know if it is for "accessibility" reasons that every component in a Composer screen has a Tab Index - even pure text components, though for some reason you cannot use the GUI to set the Tab Index for "Label" components. It appears there is no way to use the GUI to set ALL the Tab Indexes.

Anyone else come across this?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Happy New Year to you as well, Francis.

Yes, and you're right. There is no way (not that I have found anyway) to change the tabindex properties on label elements from the "Properties" window. For that, I have had to do what we don't like to do, which is to do it directly in HTML source.

I haven't found a way either to stop those labels from getting any focus at all.

Apparently, setting their tabindex to "0" or "-1" seems to work in some versions of IE but as with many things web, that does not seem to be consistently supported across other browsers.

My half-baked solution for now? give them a tabindex of "100" or higher so at least users can start navigating across controls without those labels getting in the way, at least until they reach the last Submit/Reset button and decide to TAB from there ... well, they better click the first control in the form instead ... perhaps there's a trick you may know of? Wink

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.

Expert
posted Hide Post
We think alike, but I'm not bothering to change the tab indexes manually. I'll let the UAT people discover the issue.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
It is a new world now, isn't?

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2

Gold member
posted Hide Post
The HTML Composer has a button you can press to change the Tab Order just by clicking the components in the order you want (Double click to start over).

Here is a screenshot of what the button looks like.

I typically just remove the tabindex from the HTML Code view for the components I do not want to be tabbed to and then use the button to reorder once I am done placing everything.

WF: 8201, OS: Windows, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel

Gold member
posted Hide Post
quote:

I haven't found a way either to stop those labels from getting any focus at all.

Apparently, setting their tabindex to "0" or "-1" seems to work in some versions of IE but as with many things web, that does not seem to be consistently supported across other browsers.

njsden, I'm curious if you happen to know where you've found the value -1 to not eliminate the item as a tab stop? I've been using it for some time under the impression that it was both correct and effective!

Thanks,
Rob

WebFocus 8201m on Windows; App Studio 8201; Procedures: WebFocus with SQL; HTML Parameter Pages & Dashboard; Output: Excel, HTML, & PDF.

Posts: 88 | Location: MI | Registered: July 23, 2009Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
This explains that IE interprets negative values as a "no TAB stop" which is my intention.

I haven't found anything "official" about how Firefox or Chrome would handle that case.

However, the W3C recommendation on tabindex says that its value must be a number between 0 and 32767 -- there's no mention to negative values and how they should be treated.

I think I just err on being overly-cautious but if the standard recommendation does not make provisions for negative values to be allowed and interpreted as "no tab stop" then I become worried about that feature's adoption across other browsers or even its support in future versions.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip Crymsyn.

I think I saw that feature briefly a while ago while playing around with HTML Composer but ended up not using it because it always started the sequence from #1 upon the first double-click and then assigned last_seq_# + 1 to each newly clicked control.

Being a bit old-school I usually like to number my sequences in steps of 5's or 10's just in case future needs require to squeeze new controls in between others; leaving those gaps would allow me to do that without having to re-number all sequences after the new controls are added.

Also, either clicking or double-clicking labels does not seem to have any effect on the tabindex value of those elements; it only seems to affect "input" controls.

Expert
posted Hide Post
What on earth do I do with this?

I'm not sure how to order these dozens of components, but I tried a test by dragging the tab index of one of the buttons at the bottom right - rearranging the bottom two buttons and look what happened:

Francis

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
What on earth do I do with this?

Pretend it's some kind of new-generation Sudoku? Wink

I was playing with it a few minutes ago. Just pick a control you'd like to be tabindex=1 and double click it. Number 1 should be assigned to it; after that, just click whichever control you want to be next, that'll be #2, then the next one and so on until you're either: done, tired of clicking or your head is spinning by staring at all those numbers in front of you.

Clicking on labels seems to have no effect though.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Being a bit old-school I usually like to number my sequences in steps of 5's or 10's

Any BASIC programmers out there to keep me company?

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
On the same topic, how can we assign tabindex value to the calendar icon controls? I tried finding something in the HTML source but saw nothing.

Are they created on-the-fly upon rendering the page when running?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: njsden,

Expert
posted Hide Post
yes, the Calendar Control is rendered on the fly. It would have been nice if the image had an ID so you could address it using JavaScript - maybe in the next release.

Meanwhile, due to something peculiar about myself, I've decided to banish odd numbers, so it would be in 10's for me.

Francis

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Thanks, nsjden; I didn't want to be doing something that was going to cause grief down the road either!

After exploring a bit, I think it's worth noting that the specification does say "Those elements that support the tabindex attribute and assign a positive value to it are navigated first." Also, the current HTML 5 draft does specify the expected behavior.

If memory serves me, recent versions of IE, Firefox, Chrome, Opera and Safari have all cooperated with me on this. The function of negative numbers is also described by sitepoint.

Rob

WebFocus 8201m on Windows; App Studio 8201; Procedures: WebFocus with SQL; HTML Parameter Pages & Dashboard; Output: Excel, HTML, & PDF.

Posts: 88 | Location: MI | Registered: July 23, 2009Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Excellent! Thanks for the post and the links your provided, Rob. That's the information I needed to feel "safe" when resorting to tabindex = "-1". I think I also need to work hard on improving my Google skills Smiler

This message has been edited. Last edited by: njsden,