Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
FOC 198 Error Help!
 Login/Join

posted
Thanks for willing to help. The error message in the output is:

.(FOC198) FATAL ERROR IN DATABASE I/O. FOCUS TERMINATING ERROR WRITING
.VMFRFPDY, PAGE 262144, CODE 0x0000cccc

I also tried to run my own VMC (ID: ZHAOC) testing jobs, the jobs are
$FCUPPDY JOB22853 02/01/2008 11:27
$FCUPPDY JOB25815 01/31/2008 16:28
$FCUPPDY JOB23772 01/31/2008 14:39
$FCUPPDY JOB11118 01/31/2008 10:12

The Focus database name is VMFRFPDY, the file name is VMPN.CDC.VMFRFPDY.A. It is already at 1,500 cylinders prior the loading, the daily data file to be loaded is about 70 cylinders. Today's data file VMPN.CDC.VMPNF105.DAILY.EXTRSORT had been deleted by the failed job, so I re-created one named 'T659.CDC.VMPNF105.DAILY.EXTR0131'.

(This file has 203k rows and an lrecl of 1159 and occupies 50 cylinders!)

The above is from a programmer here at Nationwide Insurance. He is seeing this error in an MVS batch job which is trying to add data to a database. Any suggestions will be appreciated. And let me know if you have any questions. I did not determine if the focus db is rebuilt with any frequency.

Mike Anderson
Nationwide Insurance
Columbus, OH

BTW this is Focus 7.2.4 and the release of MVS, OS 390 is very current.

Mike Anderson

Posts: 14 | Location: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: May 20, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Did you run out of secondary extents? Could be a space issue. With the size of your transaction file, that is where I would start looking.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Mike,

Here's the link, that should help you, posted by Kerry the last time this issue was raised.
http://techsupport.informationbuilders.com/tech/ibm/ibm_dia_foc198res.html

WebFOCUS 8202 Win 2012
Test - WebFOCUS 8203 on Win 2012

Posts: 173 | Registered: November 16, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
If you are pre-allocating be sure you have sufficient secondary storage extents defined. What type of data file is it? You also may not have enought free space allocated for expansion if a VSAM file.

Leah

Posts: 1317 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA | Registered: May 24, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Based on the link that Rich provided, I don't think it is extents which is what I suggested in my first post.

Mike needs to use the 2gig version of the FOCUS data base instead of the old limit. It looks like he is running out of pages. Or he will have to partition the data base.

Ginny
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
PAGE 262144

From my days on the Tech Support desk, this figure rings a bell and I am fairly sure it is to do with the old limit as Ginny says.

Contact IB with your details and get the low down from them. They have probably been asked this so many times that they may have it tattoed on their forearm Wink

BTW, FOC 198s were always the worst cases to work on ....

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
0000CCCC - Page number is larger than 65535. (Also refer to code 00000065)

Under 6.8 the maximum size of a FOCUS database is 64k pages. Under 7.0, the maximum size has increased to 256K pages.
Upgrade to 7.0.
If already in 7.0 or cannot upgrade, you will need to separate the database so that you do not hit the maximum limit.

This is from the link that Rich gave us. Mike's page number is much higher than the 64K page number. So maybe it is extents.

Mike, can you go to 3.4 on spf and do an I for information on your FOCUS data base and see there there are any more secondary extents available?

Ginny

Expert
posted Hide Post
Ah, but 262144 would equate to around 256K pages? 256 * 1024 = 262144.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
When did the limit go to 2 gig? If you take 262144 and multiply it by 4096 which is the number of bytes in a page, you only get about 1 gig.

Unless, of course, it is Friday and I'm too tired to know what I'm doing.

And, Tony, aren't you supposed to be watching TV by now?

Ginny

Expert
posted Hide Post
Asleep more like Wink

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Wasn't it so that only newly created foc files would allow the limit to be extended to 2 GB, and that the 1 GB limit could be reached without recreating the file? I seem to remember something to that effect.

And, if 2GB is still not enough, you might consider using the XFOCUS technique, to let your data files grow up to 8 GB.
You can find info on the XFOCUS feature on the IB techsupport site.

Hope this helps...

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
... and if 8gb is still not enough then you will have to think along the lines of using LOCATION attributes and separate FOCUS files.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

posted Hide Post
Some background from an antique mainframe FOCUS coder....

FOCUS upped the DB size to 2G with R7 but this has to be set by the systems programmer doing the FOCUS installation to activate it. You cannot set it at the user level.

This is a simple SET command in the FOCUS ERRORS PDS (the FOCPARM member). The actual code is: SET FOC2GIGDB=ON. The default is OFF. This change is really easy and just takes about 5 mins. There is also no need to change or re-gen FOCUS once this change is made. The only restriction is that you can't go back to R6.

Here are some options for your from easiest to semi-complex:

1. Have the 2GB option activated.

2. REBUILD/REBUILD to see if your file is really that large or just really messed up. This will smush all the data together in the proper order.

3. Use LOCATION files. This is where you put specific FOCUS DB segments in different physical files. This is not difficult and is really well documented in all the FOCUS manuals.

If your file is one large segment (not recommended) - you should take your static information and split it off to a LOCATION file and make that some type of Unique segment. There are various flavors of Unique segments and you will have to read the doc to determine which type you should use.

BTW - we have FOCUS databases that span entire 3390 Mod 3 disk packs (500+cyl) so your baby file should be fine.

The good new is - once you do this one you can use this method over & over again.

Good Luck,
Michelle

WebFOCUS Production: UNIX 7.7.03M
WebFOCUS Test: UNIX EDASERVE 7.7.05 Client 8.0.01

Posts: 28 | Location: Connecticut USA | Registered: August 29, 2006Report This Post