Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Has anyone automated the use of Change Management Utility?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Has anyone automated the use of Change Management Utility?
 Login/Join

posted
We are very familar with the Change Management utility provided in WebFOCUS and we currently use it. One of its drawbacks is that it is mostly a manual process.

We are wondering has anyone in the WF community added some automation to the process of using the CM utility. Is anyone useing a different external tool to accomplish the same thing?

Our team that promotes files from the development to test to prodution environment is asking if there is something that can be done with scripting and prompts to make it a less manual process.

I searched Focal Point and did not find that there were any posts about automating the process to some degree so please reply if you know of any options to investigate. Thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

Prod: WF 8.005 Windows, all output formats
Dev: WF 8.005

Posts: 21 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: September 18, 2006Report This Post
<Kathryn Henning>
posted
Hi SandyM,

Have you seen the "Change Management Export" and "Change Management Import" sections at WebFOCUS Managed Reporting? Is this how you're currently running Change Management?

Regards,

Kathryn

Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
SandyM,

Where I worked previously we used Harvest (change management tool) along with some additional scripting to automatically promote and process the zip files. It was quite a while ago but I'll see if I can remember enough to at least summarize the process.

The developer would create his/her zip file and check it in to Harvest. Then a home-grown script, called from within Harvest, would run at a predetermined time (or times) and would;
Copy the zip file(s) to the target machine cm/load directory.
Execute the IBI script that loads zip files.
Check the cmevent.log file for errors.
Report back with the results (I don't remember how this was incorporated into Harvest).

I believe that there was a way in Harvest to see the contents of the zip file although I don't recall how that was accomplished but there were approval processes/procedures set up within Harvest. After an approval from "whomever", the zip file was again automatically promoted up to the next logical environment and automatically processed there.

As I'm writing, I'm realizing there were other aspects to this that are foggy that I just don't remember too much about how the versioning control worked, the setup within Harvest to demote a zip file, we had a script that would purge old zip files, etc.).

I know I haven't given you much but I hope that at least some of this helps.

Craig

8.8.09 - z/Linux (WF, Report Caster, Report Library).
Iway FFS on MVS (HFS)

Posts: 36 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: December 05, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback. We will probably continue to use the WF Change Management utility. The development team asked me to investigate any other known options so I posted the question since the Focal Point commnity is so vast and very helpful. I appreciate your response.

Prod: WF 8.005 Windows, all output formats
Dev: WF 8.005

Posts: 21 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: September 18, 2006Report This Post