Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Multiple spreadsheets excel cannot open in ipad

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Multiple spreadsheets excel cannot open in ipad
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Has anyone produce a multiple spreadsheets excel output and having issue open in ipad or any mobile devices? In iPad, it gave me "The file format is invalid" error message.

When I create a single spreadsheet excel output, I'm able to open in iPad without any issue.

If I create multiple speadsheets excel using microsoft office, I have no problem opening in iPad.

Any thoughts???

Many thanks!

Shirley

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Shirley Huang
WF 7.7.04M MRE BID DevStudio
WIN2003, SQL Server 2000/DB2
HTML/PDF/EXL2k/AHTML
iSM 6.16

Expert
posted Hide Post
I guess that is because the file is in fact an MHT file (Single page web archive).

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Waz,

Thank you for your reply!

How do I make sure it's an .xls file instead of MHT file?

Shirley

Shirley Huang
HTML/PDF/EXL2k/AHTML
iSM 6.16

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
"true" .xls files are created by using EXCEL format (not ELX2K) but then you'll lose a great deal of functionality in WebFOCUS, creating multiple spreadsheets most likely being one of those.

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.

Gold member
posted Hide Post
How do I make sure an iPad can open exl2k file that produce by webfocus?

Shirley Huang
HTML/PDF/EXL2k/AHTML
iSM 6.16

Expert
posted Hide Post
Can you check to see what file types the xls program on iPad reads ?

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Shirely,

When you say multiple spreadsheets, are you referring to a compound Excel report with multiple tabs? .

David

David

WebFOCUS 8.1.05M (dev, test & prod); all output types

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi dchurch,

Yes, it's a compound excel output format

Here is a simple .fex using CAR as example:

TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT
CAR.ORIGIN.COUNTRY
CAR.COMP.CAR
CAR.CARREC.MODEL
CAR.BODY.DEALER_COST
CAR.BODY.RETAIL_COST
CAR.BODY.SALES
ON TABLE SET PAGE-NUM NOLEAD
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT EXL2K OPEN
ENDSTYLE
END

TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT
CAR.ORIGIN.COUNTRY
CAR.COMP.CAR
CAR.CARREC.MODEL
CAR.BODY.DEALER_COST
CAR.BODY.RETAIL_COST
CAR.BODY.SALES
ON TABLE SET PAGE-NUM NOLEAD
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT EXL2K CLOSE
END

quote:
Originally posted by dchurch:
Shirely,

When you say multiple spreadsheets, are you referring to a compound Excel report with multiple tabs? .

David

Shirley Huang
HTML/PDF/EXL2k/AHTML
iSM 6.16

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi,

Have you tried the mobile favs app ? Though it does require a server piece.

It's the compound reports the iPad seems to have issues with.

I haven't tried the ones with table of contents yet and having each part go to a different tab. However a report sent to the iPad in excel format that is not a compound report works fine.

Crystal

Webfocus 8.0.7 on Windows

Posts: 176 | Location: Ohio | Registered: October 26, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi CLH,

I have not tried the mobile favs app yet.

Shirley Huang
HTML/PDF/EXL2k/AHTML
iSM 6.16

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Even though this case is closed, but after several server upgrades and trial and errors, here are some of the updates I thought might be interested to know in case anyone else comes across this situation.

1. Multiple spreadsheets excel2k format will not work on any mobile devices. However, there's a work around I've found if only using report caster. The workaround is using a vbscript in the .fex to open and resave as true microsoft excel format(see this post for the vbscript). Then in report caster, use the file task to grab that excel file from server for distribution.

2. If you have wf server version 7.703M or newer with wf client hotfix6, report can be save as exl07 format, which can be open in any mobile devices without using the vbscript. However, there are some drawbacks with exl07 format, such as template feature, bursting in report caster and few others.

Mobile faves won't help resolve in this case.

Shirley Huang
HTML/PDF/EXL2k/AHTML
iSM 6.16