Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] WFServlet vs. run.bip

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] WFServlet vs. run.bip
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Hi,

OK, so there are two ways to call a WF procedure in version 8.1.05 now I might be just lucky these both work, but which call would be the "best practice" one? The scenario here is the WF is called from a bespoke java UI, and the SSO should handle any authentications. I might be missing session tokens as well, so any hints in what I am missing would be good.

/ibi_apps/WFServlet?IBIF_webapp=/ibi_apps&IBIMR_drill=IBFS,RUNFEX,IBIF_ex,true&IBIF_ex=IBFS:/WFC/Repository/POC/spoof/spoof.fex&CALDATE=32032017&VAR1=bofh&VAR2=666

/ibi_apps/run.bip?BIP_REQUEST_TYPE=BIP_RUN&BIP_folder=IBFS:/WFC/Repository/POC/spoof&BIP_item=spoof.fex&CALDATE=32032017&VAR1=bofh&VAR2=666

There are also portals, Java UI calling WF html pages and then directly fexes, oh and RC schedules run off the portals as well as webservices... so a bit of a mixed bag and I'd prefer to make things as much streamlined as possible.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

Cheers,
H.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Oracle 11g - DB2
RedHat

Posts: 115 | Location: Brighton UK | Registered: February 19, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
From what I've seen, run.bip has always happened from a portal, and WFServlet from drills and calls from HTML composer.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
...which call would be the "best practice" one?...

Back when we upgraded from 7.7.x to 8.0.x, Information Builders recommended that we begin to use the 'WebFOCUS RESTful Web Service' to run reports from our bespoke web applications, instead of WF servlet.

With WF RESTful, your servlet call example would look something like:
http://localhost:8080/ibi_apps/rs/ibfs/WFC/Repository/POC/spoof/spoof.fex?IBIRS_action=run&CALDATE=32032017&VAR1=bofh&VAR2=666

There is a IB manual on WF RESTful.

(I can send a Summit presentation on WF RESTful, if anyone would like to send me their email address via a PM. The presentation summarizes what is in the manual.)

Perhaps someone from IB will further comment on this topic?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: David Briars,

Pilot: WebFOCUS 8.2.06 Test: WebFOCUS 8.1.05M Prod: WebFOCUS 8.1.05M Server: Windows Server 2016/Tomcat Standalone Workstation: Windows 10/IE11+Edge Database: Oracle 12c, Netezza, & MS SQL Server 2019 Output: AHTML/XLSX/HTML/PDF/JSCHART Tools: WFDS, Repository Content, BI Portal Designer & ReportCaster

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I need to look into the webservices for RC scheduling... though now I ran that and it seems my report is 'restful' in a stuck "Loading" screen (the WFServlet works fine)... darn WebSphere... Frowner

Cheers,
H.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Oracle 11g - DB2
RedHat

Posts: 115 | Location: Brighton UK | Registered: February 19, 2005Report This Post