Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CASE-OPENED]ReportCaster Fail -Distribution Server not running

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CASE-OPENED]ReportCaster Fail -Distribution Server not running
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
ReportCaster Fail

While upgrading to 8.05, we have an error message when we check the ReportCaster. On the WebConsole, under Report Caster>Utilities>ReportCaster Status it says ReportCaster Fail. We then select Restart ReportCaster. The message under fail says "The Distribution Server is not currently running. Please start the Distribution Server."

We are following the manual and the Troubleshooting tips later in the manual and do not see a solution for this. How can we start the Distribution Server?

We have been on Linux and are doing a new install on Windows. We also compared existing settings to the new which match.

Thank you,
Geri Gellman

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Emily McAllister>,

Prod: WebFOCUS 7.7.05 OS:Linux; Upgrading to: WebFOCUS 8.1.05 OS:Windows; Outputs: HTML, PDF, Excel; Adapters: SAP, MySQL, Oracle incl Report Caster

Posts: 102 | Location: Cincinnati, Oh USA area | Registered: November 02, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Is the Distribution Server running on Windows or Unix? In Windows, you can open Services and look for WebFOCUS ReportCaster WF81 and see if it's Running. If that's not running, see if you can start it.

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
BabakNYC,

The Distribution Server is running on Windows. Already stopped and started WebFOCUS ReportCaster WF81. (But just stopped and restarted it again as a test) It currently says it is running.

Prod: WebFOCUS 7.7.05 OS:Linux; Upgrading to: WebFOCUS 8.1.05 OS:Windows; Outputs: HTML, PDF, Excel; Adapters: SAP, MySQL, Oracle incl Report Caster

Posts: 102 | Location: Cincinnati, Oh USA area | Registered: November 02, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Does the RC Console say what port it's trying to use? Mine is 8200. Could it be that port is restricted or used by a different machine?

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hello,

ReportCaster>Utilities>Configuration, it does not show any ports. I have a port on the Remove Services of 8120.

Master
posted Hide Post
Geri,

check the reportcaster error logs. There was a bug in the early 8.0.X release where the shell script was designated for Korn Shell instead of Bash or something like that. I remember needing to adjust the first line of the the startup script.

I know in my environments, I also had to go into the database and manually add records to the configuration tables for mine to start up correctly. The database information didn't install correctly.

At the end of the day. This might be something you want to open a ticket with IBI over. They will probably tell you to re-install the client though. That's what they told me to do. So you might want to start there. There is no way to install just ReportCaster. Trust me, I asked. I made them very nervous manually adjusting their config tables too. Its not something they recommend, but hey, if it works...

Eric Woerle
8.1.05M Gen 913- Reporting Server Unix
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Posts: 750 | Location: Warrenville, IL | Registered: January 08, 2013Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Eric.

Thank you for the info, We already installed the client twice. it looks like my best option is to open a case with IBI.

Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi All,
The following is from the Report Caster Product Manager. Possibly this will shed some light on this topic.

If the Distribution server is running (which it sounds like it is) and the ReportCaster Console says that it is not running this is most likely a configuration issue. The Host and Port in the ReportCaster Configuration file must match the Host and Port in the script or registry of the machine where the Distribution Server is running.

It might be best to compare the Host and Port that appears on the Server Status window of the ReportCaster Console to the Host and Port listed in the classpath bat or script in the ../reportcaster/bin directory.

If the Distribution server is running as a Windows service the Host and Port will also be listed in the Windows registry.
The Host and Port must match exactly and Hostnames may be case sensitive on UNIX.

If the Host and Port do not match the settings can be changed to match in the Distribtion Server tab of the ReportCasterr Configuration tool in the ReportCaster Console.

Thank you for participating in the Focal Point Forum.

Kind Regards,
Tamra Colangelo
IBI Focal Point Moderator

WebFOCUS 8x - BI Portal, Developer Studio, App Studio, Excel, PDF, Active Formats and HTML5

Posts: 487 | Location: Toronto | Registered: June 23, 2009Report This Post