Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Webfocus USAGE/ACTUAL Maximum Length 4096 characters?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Webfocus USAGE/ACTUAL Maximum Length 4096 characters?
 Login/Join

posted
I am having an Input box to pass parameters with 15000 characters and generate the report based on the parameters. Is the max width 4096 characters in Webfocus? If so, do I have to have a Feature Request to increase the boundary limit of 4K? Please advise.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Guru
posted Hide Post
15000 charachters is quite a lot for one parameter. What's the usecase? No options to split it?

Test: WF 8.2
Prod: WF 8.2
DB: Progress, REST, IBM UniVerse/UniData, SQLServer, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, Greenplum, Athena.

Posts: 454 | Location: Europe | Registered: February 05, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I am confronted with the same issue so i am very interested.

I should read closer i do not have a 15K parameter, I too cannot imagine that. I have fields that size that i am trying to pass to my output

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Geoff Fish,

809 DevStudio, MRE, Report Caster , Report Library
Output: Excel PDF, HTML

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
How does the user can enter 15K characters in a input box ?

I cannot imagine that a user will have to enter (even copy/paste) 15K digits as a parameter...

You may should consider other option such as file upload.

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2409 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
How does the user can enter 15K characters in a input box ?

Not much of WF, it is a limit of browser in query string. https://support.microsoft.com/...in-internet-explorer
see if you can use POST.

WF7702

posted Hide Post
Thank you very much for the 15K response. Here are details,

1. When a user Logs in, my front end(java) brings all the data associated with the login id. This data has a
concatenated value like aaa~bbb~ccc,ddd~eee~fff,ggg~hhh~iii,......... and so on that counts to 15000 characters

OR

2. When I paste the same data from WF BI Portal in the Portal Input box

OR

3.When I hard code the same data in .fex file input parameter

On all the three situations, when it exceeds 4188 data characters, it gives (FOC1487) SQL SYNTAX ERROR. But with less than 4188 data, it generates the report successfully. (Earlier,the error was in wfRepository BOTPARMS(PARAM_VALUE) and I modified it from varchar to text datatype and that error is gone now)

3. Are these values are processed in memory somewhere in webfocus before calling .fex file?(I am not sure but I was told)

4. If successful, it calls the .fex file with this data, which in turn calls the .mas file that calls the stored proc. The Procedure splits the tilda separated values into columns and comma separated values in to rows in tmptable and the procedure runs and generates the report based on these tmptable. What is the alternate option? Please assist.

I am new to webfocus and I will be enrolling in WF Reporting soon

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
This data has a concatenated value like aaa~bbb~ccc,ddd~eee~fff,ggg~hhh~iii,......... and so on that counts to 15000 characters

No matter the way the data is retrieved, one question : what is data for ? What does it represent ?

quote:

When a user Logs in, my front end(java) brings all the data associated with the login id

If the data can be retrieved from java based on user id, why not let WF retrieve it and store it in a format (such as multiple parameters, ...) that will be usable later on ?
I suppose that the string is organized such a way that the values can either be divided using the comma or the tilde ? So you potentially could create several parameters based on that.

The more detailed information you'll give us, the easiest it will be to help you

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2409 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Report This Post
posted Hide Post
These parameters with tilde represent business data with saleslocation(aaa), salesbranch(bbb) and salescode(ccc)aaa~bbb~ccc,ddd~eee~fff,.....

The parameters retrieved from frontend are the data from source database based on logon id and I want them inserted in my destination mysql datamart for report generation using webfocus(.mas,.fex and stored procedure)

If the parameters is more than 4188 characters, it is not entered in mysql datamart tmptable, but less than that gets entered in mysql datamart tmptable.

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Guru
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you're using that 15k data for security, based on logon id, to determine what records to include in reports?

You might want to consider using Webfocus's DBA security scheme. It's way simpler. Just my 2 cents.

Webfocus 8
Windows, Linux

Posts: 258 | Location: Palm Coast, FL | Registered: February 05, 2010Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:

The parameters retrieved from frontend are the data from source database based on logon id and I want them inserted in my destination mysql datamart for report generation using webfocus(.mas,.fex and stored procedure)

How do you store (insert) the string in the tmptable ?

Also, I still don't understand why you would like to read a table to extract data (parms) that you will then be inserted in another table to be finally read ?

Another way if you want to keep the "tmptable" is to insert one row per parm value.
Meaning that for each combination of "saleslocation(aaa), salesbranch(bbb) and salescode(ccc)" you do insert a row.
That way, instead of having a up to 15K string, you will have many rows into a table. You will then be able to extract your data based on the value within "tmptable" using a JOIN and not a WHERE as you do actually.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MartinY,

In Focus since 2007

posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the response. I will try to make changes as per suggestions.

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs