Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Regular Panels to Responsive Panels for Portal
Page 1 2 

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Regular Panels to Responsive Panels for Portal
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
I have created a portal with regular panels. I want to basically replicate the portal, but only with responsive panels instead. Does anyone know a convenient way to do this besides having to delete all of the regular panels and adding the responsive panels one by one?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

WF 8.1.05
Windows
SQL Server 2014
HTML, PDF, EXCEL

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
AMC

I played with this and could not find a way to automagically change a non-responsive panel to responsive.

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Chuck W on that. Also, after you place the object inside of the responsive panel, there seems to be two panels. How do you size the two accordingly? I see the Responsive Panel Properties and I see the Responsive Item Properties for the object. How do you make it so it appears as one panel for the object?

WF 8.1.05
Windows
SQL Server 2014
HTML, PDF, EXCEL

Expert
posted Hide Post
Ditto here,

I don't think there is a way to convert to responsive, as you need to insert a responsive panel before your panel.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Waz. So how do you make it so it appears as one panel for the object? After adding the responsive panel and then adding the content in the panel, there are like two panels that are stacked on top of one another. Do you have to hide one of the panels?

WF 8.1.05
Windows
SQL Server 2014
HTML, PDF, EXCEL

Expert
posted Hide Post
Without seeing what you have its difficult, but this is the process we go though.

Create new page
Set Page layout to One Column
Insert Responsive panel
Make panel auto height
Insert new panel or drag-drop resource onto the panel

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Waz - Ok, so if I have multiple reports or charts on the page, then it will be one report/chart per One Column on the page, correct? If my non-responsive portal has a page that has 5 charts for example and I wanted to make it a responsive page, then I would have one chart for One Column five times...down the page based on your steps.

WF 8.1.05
Windows
SQL Server 2014
HTML, PDF, EXCEL

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Waz - So I'm playing around with responsive. I can actually add multiple charts to one column all with one responsive panel as opposed to what I was asking in my last question...(or trying to ask). Is the idea to have one responsive panel with all your charts in the one panel?

WF 8.1.05
Windows
SQL Server 2014
HTML, PDF, EXCEL

Expert
posted Hide Post
Yes, you can add many panels to a responsive panel.

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Waz - Ok, so I have added six charts to this responsive panel which is one column. I am trying to replicate the non-responsive portal I created where I have these same six charts on a non-responsive page. So it looks like you have to control much of the layout or placement of the charts by your Responsive Panel Properties and Responsive Item Properties.

So can I get the charts on the responsive page to be laid out and placed exactly the same way as I have them on the non-responsive page? Is that difficult to do with the responsive properties? It looks like it will auto place for you pending the width and height you set in the responsive properties for the item.

WF 8.1.05
Windows
SQL Server 2014
HTML, PDF, EXCEL

Expert
posted Hide Post
Yes, this is the "Fun" part.

Its all done in the responsive properties.
What you need to keep in mind is when the browser window changes or is run on a different device, how should the panels react. At what width should they wrap under the previous panel, etc.

You do this with max, min widths, etc.

The documentation does show this, but could be described a little better.

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Waz - I see that. Yes, the documentation shows it , but could be more description about it as you say.

I have my first page set to One Column layout as you indicated. So the 2nd page I am experimenting with the Fluid Canvas layout. I am experimenting overall here with the responsive design. Any suggestions for the Fluid Canvas layout?

WF 8.1.05
Windows
SQL Server 2014
HTML, PDF, EXCEL

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
If you're not on 8201+, then it's near impossible to use IBI's portal designer to get a responsive portal page working the way you'd want it to from 8103-8105M releases unless you just use the RDF Templates CM package HTML Composer pages that IBI can provide you. In 8201+, you have the option to hot-swap panel types like you are looking to do.

I'd look into getting the RDF Templates CM package via a support ticket/opening a case.

8.2.02M (production), 8.2.02M (test), Windows 10, all outputs.

Posts: 1113 | Location: USA | Registered: January 27, 2015Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any suggestions for the Fluid Canvas layout?

No, as CoolGuy says, its near impossible to get what you want with those versions.

We are in the process of upgrading to 8.2, and are hoping that this will fix all out responsiveness issues.

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks CoolGuy. Ok, so will it be responsive in some fashion you know considering I am using the portal designer only in 8105...and not the RDF Templates CM package?

WF 8.1.05
Windows
SQL Server 2014
HTML, PDF, EXCEL

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
As much grief as I've given IBI over the lack of responsive facilities in their product before, they've really done a good job adding what was needed in 8201+ in my opinion. There are global template resources that are added in after enabling collaborative portals within the BIP resource tree that you can copy and use within any portal project. They work really well as far as I can tell so far. The end result of all the RDF template CM content packages from the earlier releases. Plus, a lot better integration for responsive layouts in their HTML Composer tool in AppStudio as well.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
AMC,

Go here for more information on them.

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
So these global template resources that are added in after enabling collaborative portals within the BIP resource tree...can I get to this or enable it now with what I have or this is what you are saying comes with the RDF template CM package that needs to be requested from IBI?

WF 8.1.05
Windows
SQL Server 2014
HTML, PDF, EXCEL

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
AMC,

Until you hit version 8201+, all you can rely on is the Add-On package from IBI. The global resources, etc. I was talking about are only in 8201+. Sorry for the confusion.

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
So this needs to be requested from IBI to get this functionality you're saying? Is there a fee for this add-on that you know?

Also, this is add-on for App Studio using HTML Composer pages. So I would have to access it through App Studio and not the BI repository?

WF 8.1.05
Windows
SQL Server 2014
HTML, PDF, EXCEL

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
AMC,

Yes, you'll need to request the CM package from IBI. It should be free.

It is specific to HTML Composer within AppStudio; although there is a demo portal that comes with the templates.

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Ok gotcha. Also, I went back and re-read what you posted there and understand that's what you were saying about it after I posted that.

Thanks for this info.

WF 8.1.05
Windows
SQL Server 2014
HTML, PDF, EXCEL

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
CoolGuy - I was able to get the RDF Add-On package imported. I am playing around with the template pages in HTML Composer. So when charts are added to one of the template pages and the width is set to 100% for each panel, does that make it responsive?

WF 8.1.05
Windows
SQL Server 2014
HTML, PDF, EXCEL

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
The templates they provide you should take care of the responsive behavior you need for the most part. If there's a scenario where you need to adjust a template to a different arrangement, I'd consult the docs for how to do such. Setting a panel's width to 100% doesn't necessarily make the content responsive, but ensures the panel itself will expand to fit 100% of the width of its parent container/element. I suggest you look into finding and taking a free or cheap course on using HTML/CSS/Js first, and then responsive design when time permits. Codeschool is pretty good to get your feet wet and provides some of its instruction for free. See below link:

Code School's Journey Into Mobile course

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the Code School link. I will check it out.

So if I have added my charts to the responsive template page and I'm not seeing the charts adjust according to my browser, is there something that I'm missing that you know of off the top your head?

WF 8.1.05
Windows
SQL Server 2014
HTML, PDF, EXCEL

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
AMC,

Do your graphs have the following line within their request code?:

ON GRAPH SET AUTOFIT ON

If not, add it in. Then, try resizing them.

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
CoolGuy - It looks like one of my graphs on the template page has that line while the others do not. So WebFOCUS has the long-standing issue of if you modify the code, it my not open back up in InfoAssist. I know it's one line. Maybe I can add that line within App Studio and maybe there will be no impact opening up in IA. Sometimes App Studio will let you.

WF 8.1.05
Windows
SQL Server 2014
HTML, PDF, EXCEL

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
(finishing up the last post)

...Sometimes App Studio will let you make a change to the code without impact opening it up in InfoAssist I believe.

WF 8.1.05
Windows
SQL Server 2014
HTML, PDF, EXCEL

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
AMC,

That one line doesn't always function in every scenario. I just know it's supposed to toggle responsive behavior for the most part for actual reports/graphs you place it in. Again, sometimes it doesn't work. Since you are working with IA, you are kind of stuck only using that AUTOFIT option and hoping it functions. This line can be toggled within IA I believe. I don't use it often, so I am unsure which ribbon you find it in. If you were actually using AppStudio to build content, you could go all in with a -HTMLFORM BEGIN/END block at the bottom of your content and build in responsive behavior that way. If you get stuck and no one else chimes in, I'd open a case to get some one-on-one help from IBI.

Good luck!

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. I'll see what I can go with on it.

WF 8.1.05
Windows
SQL Server 2014
HTML, PDF, EXCEL