Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     MicroFocus Cobol Batch Jobs

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
MicroFocus Cobol Batch Jobs
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Has any one used Focus with MicroFocus Cobol Jobs.

We are moving our mainframe production jobs to the windows platform and need to run the same focus procedures as we did on the mainframe. The Focus procedures will be moved to our midrange windows box.

I need to know how the JCL in MicroFocus Cobol can me modified to run the FOCEXEC's. I also need to be able to check for the return code out of the FOCEXEC and use this return code in the JCL.

Another note - we are using Cybermation as our batch scheduler.

Thank you for your help.

WebFocus 7.6.6
Oracle 10
Windows XP

Expert
posted Hide Post
Jay,

We did this at Anthem in 2003, Operation FORKLIFT. We(the data group) used MicroFocus COBOL to extract data from DB2 on the mainframe and FTP to a server on Windows.

We then used APP MAP in EDASPROF.prf to access those servers with DDNAMES. i.e.,

APP MAP flatfile \\Dv2kods03\Curs\Mainframe\CURS1P\converted\

Then, we used PC SyncSort to extract data from those files, if needed.

We also had to write Metadata Masters for "ALL" of these files.

Then, we filedef'd the files with APP FI to read them in:

-SET &INFILE1 = 'CURS.PROD.MCUBE530.BMBRGRP.YR2004.ASCII.DAT';
APP FI DDNAME flatfile\&INFILE1 (LRECL nnn RECFM F

These files did "NOT" have an end-of-file indicator, so, LRECL and RECFM fixed that.

Hope this helps...

Tom

EDIT: Caveat: BINARY data. Had to put a DEFINE in every Master with BINARY data and use the REVERSE function for that column; quite a pain...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tom Flynn,

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
What i'm looking for is how to run JCL pointing to a focexec. Does focus have load libraries on windowns and unix that I can poinr to?

WebFocus 7.6.6
Oracle 10
Windows XP

Master
posted Hide Post
Hi Tom,

Thank you for sharing your data movement scenario.

How did you invoke/call/trigger the MicroFocus COBOL routines?

Thanks,
Dave

Pilot: WebFOCUS 8.2.06 Test: WebFOCUS 8.1.05M Prod: WebFOCUS 8.1.05M Server: Windows Server 2016/Tomcat Standalone Workstation: Windows 10/IE11+Edge Database: Oracle 12c, Netezza, & MS SQL Server 2019 Output: AHTML/XLSX/HTML/PDF/JSCHART Tools: WFDS, Repository Content, BI Portal Designer & ReportCaster

Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi David,

If I recall "correctly", they used a Windows scheduler, passing parms to the mainframe.
I am not real positive, as this was done by the data group. I can find out, if you need me too; I still have contacts at Anthem...

Tom

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
We are getting off the mainframe - and putting our jobs in the midrange. I still need to run my focexecs that I had on the mainframe but I need to run them on the windows box with JCL (this is being done through the MicroFocus product and Cybermation for scheduliong).

WebFocus 7.6.6
Oracle 10
Windows XP