Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Help? What Help?
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
I don't know about the rest of you, but I would love to get feedback on solutions I have provided - otherwise there seems no point in answering posts...

These are a few that have had no feedback from the topic originator:

Create formatted/Aligned text in report header
How to apply more condition for Drill condition
EDIT on packed decimal
Excel drill down hyperlinks dont work

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Francis

I do agree on this...

and if I myself ever forgot to give feedback than sorry and let's have a drink in Las Vegas...

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Francis,

Speaking for myself (and hopefully many others), your insight, tips, techniques, and solutions are extremely valuable. I don't originate many topics, but I am a dialy reader/reviewer of this message board. The education provided here by you and others is an invaluable resource to the development community. Please do not get discouraged by the lack of feedback from topic originators...however rude the absence of feedback is...I'm sure there are many like me who greatly appreciate the time and effort you put into the community.

Kevin

WF 7.6.10 / WIN-AIX

Posts: 141 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 09, 2005Report This Post
<Tim Howard_ABCBS>
posted
I agree. I don't originate many requests either, but do chime in when I feel I have something to offer. It's kinda a let down to not know whether the originator even read the replys or even appreciates the help they've been given.

I find this forum to be very useful and enjoy learning from the solutions of others. Keep up the good work and don't be discouraged. There's many more people on here that do appreciate the help than those who can't take the time to reply when help is given.

Tim H.

Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Francis

Agree wholeheartedly with you. I know you, amongst others, put in a lot of effort when you reply to some posts, and a little appreciation and feedback goes a long way.

I think Susannah said "No good deed goes unpunished!"

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Your comments have given me a good reason for a celebratory drink this evening.

Cheers.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Francis,

I agree totally with you! It's just common courtesy to acknowledge responses that others have provided. I often see responses within minutes of a post, with no feedback from the poster. Where have they gone???

And I agree with the others that your help (and the help of all others) is greatly appreciated and valued. The willingness to share by you and the other gurus makes this forum an invaluable resource to learn new techniques and save time.

Thanks alot, and please keep up the great work!

Sean

------------------------------------------------------------------------
PROD: WebFOCUS 7.6.2 on Unix AIX/Tomcat/Servlet Mode
TEST: WebFOCUS 7.6.2 on Unix AIX/Tomcat/Servlet Mode

Posts: 210 | Location: Ottawa | Registered: November 03, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
I love when I see that you have responded to a post. YOu always make me see the code from a different angle.

IF you ever get down Galveston way, the drinks are on the house!!!

Glenda

In FOCUS Since 1990
Production 8.2 Windows

Posts: 301 | Location: Galveston, Texas | Registered: July 07, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Cheers Glenda!

Francis

Master
posted Hide Post
Hello - Just my two cents...
I do agree that it is nice when someone responds back to a post especially if you have helped them resolve the problem.

The overrall feedback on this board is that everyone is so helpful, knowledegeable, and timely. The board would not survive without all of you. Focal Point is busier than it has ever been and that is because of your efforts. We have tripled the number of registrations during the month of March and April in comparison to last year. The number of visits are also higher than ever. The value of the board has spread like wildfire. This is due to the combination of expertise and effort from everyone.

I hope everyone will visit me at the Focal Point Booth in the Solutions Pavilion. Let's all plan on meeting Tuesday evening for cocktails, slots, or just to chat a bit.

KathleenSmiler

Posts: 391 | Location: New York | Registered: September 20, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
It does seem like it's been a little worse lately. Had a few myself in the last few days that I was wondering how they turned out...

Regardless, know that there are many who appreciate the feedback given even if they don't come back and say so directly. For what it's worth, many of the folks that have responded to this thread are the ones that I'm very thankful for. Whether I'm the originator or not, I usually find something insightful and useful to my productivity!

I'm game for a Tuesday cocktail -- just can't stay up too late, I have to present at 8:30am on Wed. Wink

Production: 7.6.6 WF Server  <=>  7.6.6 WF Client  <=>  7.6.6 Dev Studio
Testing: <none>
Using MRE & BID.  Connected to MS SQL Server 2005
Output Types: HTML, Excel, PDF

Posts: 230 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: May 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Trav, we all have to attend your presentation so what's the problem.....
(I just have to leave at 9:00 for an other meating...sorry, but hope to get the handout)

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Kath, i think it would help if the forum BY DEFAULT checked off the 'immediate notification' box on any post that we open or reply to. some of the newbies may not remember to click 'immediate notification' and may never know we've responded... and may not remember what they titled the post... (well, maybe thats just me)...
Trav, you're 8:30 Wed? we'll be there!. We're 2:30 Wed, do please come. we'll be in Tiberius 4, oh wait a minute, that's Tiberius IV

This message has been edited. Last edited by: susannah,

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Human nature is to only mention something when things go wrong and not when things go smoothly and problems are fixed. It's a fact and we have to live with it. I am sure that the Tech Reps will agree with me when I say that one of the most frequent calls the Tech Support desk have to make is a follow-up to find out if a recommended course of action actually helped. If it didn't help the Customer normally let's you know - quickly! If it solved their issue you normally have to chase them to find out!!

For my money, if I have supplied a suitable remedy to a problem for someone on the Forum then I am content that some wisdom may have helped. If the individual says thanks then that is nice. If they don't reply then it doesn't worry me. The sheer fact that they don't progress any further is often a sign that the problem is fixed - either by my suggestion or someone elses.

Worrying about someone saying "thankyou" can be stressful and we can all do with less of that in our lives!

Remember -

Providing help on a forum is like wetting yourself in a dark suit -

You get a nice warm feeling - but nobody notices!

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I've gotten many good tips here. I agree with Susannah, I wish the immediate notification box was on, I thought I'd updated my profile somewhere to do that. On another side, getting feed back in a post that does just say thanks can clutter up things. A thought all, there is always the private answering you can do to send your thank you.

So in case I forget in the future, many thanks to all who contribute to this forum.

Leah

Posts: 1317 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA | Registered: May 24, 2004Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
You guys are so lucky. Our budget for the conference got cut. So,I won't get to meet all you wonderful people who have been saviours in a world where I was told I would be using WebFOCUS and then did not provide any training other than here's the manuals. I've learned a lot on my own, but you all have allowed me to become even more proficient.

Thanks to all of you who post here. Especially when someone here (where I work)said I could not replace their cobol program because of the distance formula. (Of course never tell a red head she can't do something.)

Love you guys and wish I could have met you in person.

Glenda

Glenda

In FOCUS Since 1990
Production 8.2 Windows

Posts: 301 | Location: Galveston, Texas | Registered: July 07, 2004Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
I, perosnally what to say thanks to everyone that replys to any post. While it may not be my post it is still great to see what things people are looking to do (Sharing Ideas), and how to accomplish it. It is really great to see how everyone is willing to help others. I tip my hat to you all.

Thanks
Scott - Dallas Texas

Scott

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Francis, I really appreciate your (and others' on this fine forum) feedback, there have been many workarounds suggested on TOUGH subjects that have been a great benefit to our institution.

Thanks for all the help and witty banter!

Dan Kenny
University of Nebraska at Omaha
Prod: WF 7.1.6 Linux BID/MRE/Data Migrator Test: WF 7.6.1 Linux BID/MRE/Data Migrator

Master
posted Hide Post
Hey Team - I will check on the immediate notification thing on the back end.

Have a great weekend all!

Kathleen

Posts: 391 | Location: New York | Registered: September 20, 2006Report This Post