Focal Point
Ajax & WebFOCUS...

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/2291045072

February 08, 2008, 08:34 AM
<Shane>
Ajax & WebFOCUS...
Just out of curiosity, has anyone successfully used WebFOCUS for any Ajax functionality? If so, could you please post some example code?

Shane
February 08, 2008, 08:52 AM
Alan B
Ajax is the backbone of many WF processes, it can also be incorporated in many other places as it is only a javascript. I use it all over the place.

What are you trying to achieve in which component?

There are already examples of Ajax calls within this forum though.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007
February 08, 2008, 09:02 AM
<Shane>
Alan,

I'm not trying to accomplish anything in particular. I was just curious if it could be done. I've done it many times using RPG. Just didn't know how the fex would look. I'll do a bit of searching.

Shane
February 08, 2008, 09:05 AM
Trav
Definitely used it quite a few times in various places. I had some auto retrieving divs that produced market prices -- each of those divs were draggable, resizable, and they had their own ajax routine to populate them.

I've also used ajax to retrieve dropdowns in various places for various reasons. I've also used ajax to handle unique drill-downs or to perform background processing, etc.

Definitely do a search on this forum though because I think there are several examples. Really the main thing you have to deal with is figuring out exactly what url to pass to the ajax component -- once you figure that out (which isn't hard) you open up a world of possibilities.

Good luck.

Production: 7.6.6 WF Server  <=>  7.6.6 WF Client  <=>  7.6.6 Dev Studio
Testing: <none>
Using MRE & BID.  Connected to MS SQL Server 2005
Output Types: HTML, Excel, PDF
February 08, 2008, 10:01 AM
Brian Suter
The fexs look like most fexs ... AJAX is implemented in JS. Typically, if you want data back into JS, your fex would do a PCHOLD FORMAT XML. Other formats are acceptable - your fex can even return hunks of fornated HTML which are then written to the browser window by your JS code.

Brian Suter
VP WebFOCUS Product Development