Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Microsoft Access as a Database for WebFocus

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Microsoft Access as a Database for WebFocus
 Login/Join

<Steven James>
posted
Has anyone used a Microsoft Access (mdb) file to read from when developing Web Focus reports?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Report This Post
<Vipul>
posted
No but what's the issue?

Vipul

Report This Post
<Steven James>
posted
I have a request from my department to access Microsoft Access databases for reporting via WebFocus. Do you know of any way?

Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Steven,

You CAN report from a Microsoft access database with WebFOCUS. We have WebFOCUS on Windows NT/2000. All you need to do is put the Access DB on the Windows machine where the WFServer is and then register the Access DB as a data source in control panel. I can't remember off hand how to do this but I know you can do it.

Posts: 995 | Location: Gaithersburg, MD, USA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
<Vipul>
posted
Hey Steven,

It is same 9 yards as when you want to use webfocus with any other db. You need to set up the webfocus environment and then you'll be in business.

For starters for example from your own development/proof of concept you will need IIS, dev studio and access db on your pc. add remote server and configure db adapter (for access)thro your webconsole. Set up your environment in dev studio...you are in business.

This is a basic overview of setting up webfocus locally.

I hope this helps.

Vipul

Report This Post
<Steven James>
posted
Thanks. When we are ready I will let you know the details of how we did it. Again, Thanks

Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Also, Remenber there my be a licensing Issue.

Expert
posted Hide Post
if you set up an odbc connection, i don't believe there is a licensing issue. if you want the piece that writes to access, thenyou'll need an extra chunk from ibi. At least in my exp. that's the way its been.

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
The Best way to be sure if there may be a license issue it contact to account rep. In general WebFOCUS include 1 relational adapter.

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Is there a way to access the MDB file without setting up ODBC and just use the MS Access adapter?

I tried doing that and I get an error when creating a synonym (looks like it's looking for an ODBC data source).

Thanks,
Dan

Dev: WebFOCUS 7.6.10, Data Migrator 7.6.10
QA: WebFOCUS 7.6.10, Data Migrator 7.6.10
Prod: WebFOCUS 7.6.2, Data Migrator 7.6.8
Windows 2K3, Tomcat 5.5.17, IIS 6
Usage: HTML, PDF, Excel, Self-serve, BID and MRE

Posts: 197 | Location: Roseville, CA | Registered: January 24, 2005Report This Post
<JG>
posted
for MS ACCESS you must use the ODBC/JET connection.

Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
This worked for me..

I had local access database. I created ODBC for it.
In the WF adapter, I selected MS Access adapter and gave the name which I used to create ODBC for that access source.
It worked good.

HTML,PDF,EXL2K, Active, All

Posts: 484 | Registered: February 03, 2009Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks. That's what I thought so.

Dev: WebFOCUS 7.6.10, Data Migrator 7.6.10
QA: WebFOCUS 7.6.10, Data Migrator 7.6.10
Prod: WebFOCUS 7.6.2, Data Migrator 7.6.8
Windows 2K3, Tomcat 5.5.17, IIS 6
Usage: HTML, PDF, Excel, Self-serve, BID and MRE

Posts: 197 | Location: Roseville, CA | Registered: January 24, 2005Report This Post