Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED]PDF vs. HTML question....

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED]PDF vs. HTML question....
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Hi,

I have a WebOCUS report that runs correctly in HTML -- When I put it into PDF --- on table PCHOLD format PDF --- it does not list all of the output... It gives me the first 2 pages and then produces an error message.

Does anyone know the limit on the number of pages that a PDF can successfully produce?

I receive the following error message: There was a problem reading this document (14).
It is an Adobe REader error message.

Thanks in advance.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Emily McAllister>,

Vivian Perlmutter
Aviter, Inc.

WebFOCUS Keysheet Rel. 8.0.2
(Almost) 1001 Ways to Work with Dates thru Rel. 8.0.2
Focus since 1982
WebFOCUS since the beginning
Vivian@aviter.com

Posts: 191 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: April 29, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I've had reports produce close to 10,000.

I think I have also seen this error before, and it may be to do with the content of the PDF not being created correctly.

Can you determine what what on that page ?

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I am not sure what you mean by "what what"

Vivian Perlmutter
Aviter, Inc.

Focus since 1982
Vivian@aviter.com

Posts: 191 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: April 29, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
ADOBE "requires" different css elements, can't have the same for all output.
Need to branch on output and invoke the correct styling...
Tom

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Usually the PDF file is either good or corrupt. I've not seen a WF generated PDF report that opens and only produces an error after scrolling through a few pages. Is there a bad character somewhere on page 3? You could verify that by looking at the HTML version...

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I did have to wrap many columns -- do you think that could have anything with that.

Vivian Perlmutter
Aviter, Inc.

Focus since 1982
Vivian@aviter.com

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can you determine what what on that page ?

Sorry, morning typing issues

What was on the page that fails

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Wrapping shouldn't be a problem.

I would temporarily comment out some columns and maybe add a RECORDLIMIT. Then increment the number of columns and number of rows.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thank you Francis.

I have examined the HTML and there does not appear to be a bad value or character.

Waz -- Not sure exactly what is on the page --- If I run the report and select individual values it runs correctly --- if I select ALL and then it has to do more processing.

Vivian Perlmutter
Aviter, Inc.

Focus since 1982
Vivian@aviter.com

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Tom,

Can you provide the CSS that is required -- maybe ????

Vivian Perlmutter
Aviter, Inc.

Focus since 1982
Vivian@aviter.com

Expert
posted Hide Post
Vivian
My 1st thought is WRAP doesn't work in ADOBE, SQUEEZE does.
Tom

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Tom, hmmmm...will have to check out squeeze -- I have wrap on all the reports specifically for pdf --- otherwise the reports were way too wide --- and it has been working.

Maybe something funky on this one though. Thanks for the suggestion.

Vivian Perlmutter
Aviter, Inc.

Focus since 1982
Vivian@aviter.com