Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Smiley - Unicode 263A

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Smiley - Unicode 263A
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
Hi guys,

Such a newbie question, but I can't seem to find the answer on my own...

I want to use the smiley symbol (Unicode 263A) within an excel column. I don't want to use a gif because this is going to be part of a text value in that column.

How do I do that? I know how to use HEXBYT to translate ASCII codes but I can't seem to find a similar function for Unicode translation?

Thank you all for your assistance.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WF 8.1.05 Windows

Posts: 333 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: October 17, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Here's one way, using the Wingdings font:

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM 
SALES
COMPUTE SMILEY/A1 = 
IF SALES GT 15000 THEN 'J' ELSE 
IF SALES GT 0 THEN 'K' ELSE 'L'; AS ''
BY COUNTRY
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
TYPE=DATA, COLUMN=SMILEY, FONT='WINGDINGS', $
ENDSTYLE

ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT EXL2K
END

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Sorry, this will only work for the the whole column, not for part of the text value in the column.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Even then Francis, thank you so much for sharing this awesome idea.

Goes to show the power of WF, limited only by user creativity !!!

Thanks so much,
Sandeep Mamidenna

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blue Cross & Blue Shield of MS
WF.76-10 on (WS2003 + WebSphere) / EDA on z/OS + DB2 + MS-SQL
MRE, BID, Dev. Studio, Self-Service apps & a dash of fun !! Music

Posts: 218 | Location: Jackson, MS | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Excited to also add that these SS lines will also take other comands to make the display a tad bit more interesting.

And while on the SMILEY column in excel, just try type in other characters like A,B,C to see their corresponding images.

Its worth repeating Francis, this is just awesome !! Good One

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM 
SALES
COMPUTE SMILEY/A1 = 
IF SALES GT 15000 THEN 'J' ELSE 
IF SALES GT 0 THEN 'K' ELSE 'L'; AS ''
BY COUNTRY
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
TYPE=DATA, COLUMN=SMILEY, FONT='WINGDINGS', COLOR=RED, SIZE=16,STYLE=BOLD,WHEN=SALES EQ 0,$
TYPE=DATA, COLUMN=SMILEY, FONT='WINGDINGS', COLOR=BLUE, SIZE=16,STYLE=BOLD,WHEN=SALES LT 15000,$
TYPE=DATA, COLUMN=SMILEY, FONT='WINGDINGS', COLOR=GREEN, SIZE=16,STYLE=BOLD,WHEN=SALES GT 15000,$
ENDSTYLE
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT EXL2K
END 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blue Cross & Blue Shield of MS
WF.76-10 on (WS2003 + WebSphere) / EDA on z/OS + DB2 + MS-SQL
MRE, BID, Dev. Studio, Self-Service apps & a dash of fun !! Music

Posts: 218 | Location: Jackson, MS | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Here is code that will work:

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
COMPUTE SALESA/A6   = FTOA(SALES, '(D5)', 'A6'); NOPRINT

COMPUTE SPAN1/A38   = '<span style="font-family: Wingdings;">'; NOPRINT
COMPUTE SPAN2/A07   = '</span>'; NOPRINT
COMPUTE SMILEY/A01  =
IF SALES GT 15000 THEN  'J' ELSE
IF SALES GT 0 THEN 'K' ELSE 'L'; NOPRINT

COMPUTE SALES_SMILEY/A100 = SALESA | '&|nbsp;&|nbsp;' | SPAN1 | SMILEY | SPAN2; AS 'Sales'

BY COUNTRY

ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
TYPE=DATA, COLUMN=SALES_SMILEY, JUSTIFY=RIGHT, $
ENDSTYLE

ON TABLE HOLD FORMAT HTML
END
-RUN

SET HTMLFORMTYPE=XLS
-RUN

-HTMLFORM HOLD

Unfortunately, I haven't found any real documentation on HTMLFORMTYPE so I'm not sure if this will work when a lot of styling is applied, but I'd give it a try.

Now I'm off to lunch Smiler

Francis

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
This is great...must use somewhere. Smiler

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Search the Technical Documentation Library and you get this:

"There were no results for HTMLFORMTYPE.
Here are the results for htmlform."

Search the Enterprise Content Library using that newfangled Magnify software and you find out that there are 25 postings in FocalPoint.

I couldn't find any real documentation on HTMLFORMTYPE.

I realize the syntax is probably as simple as SET HTMLFORMTYPE=[XLS|PDF], but where is it documented?

I just got back from lunch. My fortune cookie says "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success." - I can't argue with that Cool

Francis

Guru
posted Hide Post
Kudos, very creative , yet simple! Nice Thread

WebFOCUS 7.6.6/TomCat/Win2k3

Posts: 428 | Location: Springfield, MA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
HTMLFORMTYPE supports any of the WebFOCUS File Types.

Here is a list of types that I a aware of:

ACCESS ACCESSU ADR AFM BMP BST CONTROL DATA DDS DTD EDANLS EDAPRFU EDAPROF EDAPROFW EDASYNA
EDASYNM EDASYNR EPS ERRNLS ERRORS ETG ETL EXCEL FMU FOCCOMP FOCCOMPW FOCDEF FOCEXEC FOCEXECU
FOCFTMAP FOCPSB FOCSQL FOCSTYLE FOCSTYLU FOCTEMP FOCUS GIF GIFU HLI HOLDACC HOLDMAST HTML
HTMLU IBICPG JPG LSN MAINTAIN MAINTAIU MASTER MASTERU MNTPAINT OMI PDF PFA PFB PS SMARTLBW
SMARTLIB SVG TABS TDL TRF TTEDIT TXT WINFORMS WINFORMU WSDL XHT XLS XML XSD XSL

There may be more

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Waz, I'm sorry, I don't believe it until I see IBI documentation discussing HTMLFORMTYPE, which I haven't found yet.

I have come to the conclusion that HTMLFORMTYPE is not supported syntax.

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
Francis, in many ways I agree.

The safest way is to follow whats documented.

If it breaks, then you have a leg to stand on.

But sometimes you need to get the job done, and using something that works now is the only way to do it, then perhaps you should. All depends on the priority and need.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I just did a search of tech support (Symptom and Solutions only) and found several about HTMLFORMTYPE.

One says
quote:
Yes, SET HTMLFORMTYPE=XLS is supported. It has been supported since version
5.3 of WebFOCUS. This allows you to use -HTMLFORM reports as an output
setting. This is so you can use HTML output in Excel.

So I wouldn't say is not supported, just the extent it is supported.

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
HTMLFORMTYPE supports any of the WebFOCUS File Types.

Here is a list of types that I a aware of:

ACCESS ACCESSU ADR AFM BMP BST CONTROL DATA DDS DTD EDANLS EDAPRFU EDAPROF EDAPROFW EDASYNA
EDASYNM EDASYNR EPS ERRNLS ERRORS ETG ETL EXCEL FMU FOCCOMP FOCCOMPW FOCDEF FOCEXEC FOCEXECU
FOCFTMAP FOCPSB FOCSQL FOCSTYLE FOCSTYLU FOCTEMP FOCUS GIF GIFU HLI HOLDACC HOLDMAST HTML
HTMLU IBICPG JPG LSN MAINTAIN MAINTAIU MASTER MASTERU MNTPAINT OMI PDF PFA PFB PS SMARTLBW
SMARTLIB SVG TABS TDL TRF TTEDIT TXT WINFORMS WINFORMU WSDL XHT XLS XML XSD XSL

There may be more

Is this documented anywhere?

Francis

<JG>
posted
Main source of information is in the dev studio help for APP under APP Commands and File Types

Or the online docs

IBI Online documentation

Report This Post