Focal Point
Freezing report heading on an HTML report

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/2351091582

May 23, 2008, 09:10 AM
Jason K.
Freezing report heading on an HTML report
I would like to 'freeze' the heading to the top of an HTML report. We tried a javascript method demonstrated during Summit 2007, and it's not working very well for us on our slower computers.

Are there any other alternatives?

Prod: Single Windows 2008 Server running Webfocus 7.7.03 Reporting server Web server IIS6/Tomcat, AS400 DB2 database.
May 23, 2008, 09:15 AM
GinnyJakes
Good news! This is available in 7.6.5. I just put it on my dev system but haven't tested that option. But it was the one I was most excited about.

I'm a cheap date. Wink

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google
May 23, 2008, 09:19 AM
Jason K.
wow. we just put on 7.6.4 about a month ago.
Thanks!

Prod: Single Windows 2008 Server running Webfocus 7.7.03 Reporting server Web server IIS6/Tomcat, AS400 DB2 database.
May 23, 2008, 09:28 AM
Fernando
Jason,

Post a link to site describing the method or the code itself. Seeing the javascript may be help.

Fernando

Prod WF 8.1.04, QA WF 8.2.03, Dev WF 8.2.03
May 28, 2008, 05:01 PM
Trav
Jason, which method are you using? There were 2 presented -- one of them was mine and another one had a slightly different twist to it.

Mine was basically using JS functions in the CSS and relative positioning -- the session was called "Freeze Panes". If that rings a bell, you're probably using my method. You could definitely get slower performance if you have relatively large result sets -- and that is especially true if you have a very wide report or if you are using the "column locking" that I demonstrated. Reason being, on column locking, it has to recalc the position of every cell of every column of every row that you have locked -- every time you scroll.

We, without doubt, see slower performance when the rows get higher and higher. However, if all you're doing is locking the titles and headers, typically that performs pretty well for us -- because it's only being calc'ed when you scroll up/down and it usually only a handful of calculations taking place, not one for every row.

On the other hand, there was another method presented by someone from IBI that basically moved the headers outside of the result set -- same basic effect, but a slightly different way to accomplish it. You might want to explore both methods.

I'd be curious to know which method you're using and I'd like to see a glimpse of your CSS if you're using one.

Production: 7.6.6 WF Server  <=>  7.6.6 WF Client  <=>  7.6.6 Dev Studio
Testing: <none>
Using MRE & BID.  Connected to MS SQL Server 2005
Output Types: HTML, Excel, PDF