Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Strange behavior with HTML Composer using mouse

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Strange behavior with HTML Composer using mouse
 Login/Join

Virtuoso
posted
I'm going fishing... Confused

I'm wondering if someone have already encountered this situation with HTML Composer using mouse : now when I'm moving or resizing an element from the composer, it's automatically moved to position 1633344px (top and left) or sized to 1633112px (height and width) depending of the action accomplished.

So I need to move them with the arrows on the keyboard (or type the position in the properties) or type the size in the properties.

It's the second day it does that and my computer has been rebooted since.

Any ideas of what my mouse has eaten to react like this ?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MartinY,

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2409 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Check your mouse, may be it needs cleaning!

Prod/Dev/Test: WF 8.1.5 on (Windows Server 2012 R2 )
SandBox: WebFocus Server 8.1.5 on Windows Server 2008 R2
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.1.5 and Developer Studio 8.1.5 on Windows 7

Posts: 134 | Location: USA | Registered: August 21, 2008Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Mouse perfectly clean and works well with any other app and programs. Issue only with HTML Composer.

Opening a case.

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2409 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Martin,
This issue presented itself this morning when using html composer. Was there ever a resolution to your case? I would appreciate any comment.

Thanks,
L. Harris

WebFocus 7702, Windows 7, Excel

Master
posted Hide Post
Martin,

This issue has been around since 7.6x at least. Your not crazy, and its not your mouse. You could open a case... I've never tried, I've always just adjusted as necessary and done most of my work in code (...) to avoid such things.

I'm not exactly sure what specifically causes it, as I've never cared to try to figure it out.

---EDIT---
Just realized this is an old ticket.

Layne,

If this was resolved, its not resolved in 8.0.08 app studio or dev studio.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: eric.woerle,

Eric Woerle
8.1.05M Gen 913- Reporting Server Unix
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Posts: 750 | Location: Warrenville, IL | Registered: January 08, 2013Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
The answer, unfortunately, is simple, but aggravating. Your computer has upgraded itself to Internet Explorer version 11. Roll it back to an earlier version if possible and your problem will be resolved.

I made the big mistake of upgrading my main computer to Windows 8.1 - which automatically installs IE version 11 and which cannot be rolled back. So while I can create all my reports on this machine, I have to haul out the old slow notebook running Win 7 and IE 9 to create launch pages.

WebFOCUS 7.7.05 Windows, Linux, DB2, IBM Lotus Notes, Firebird, Lotus Symphony/OpenOffice. Outputs PDF, Excel 2007 (for OpenOffice integration), WP

Posts: 674 | Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada ... In Focus since 1985 | Registered: September 28, 2010Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
George,

I don't think this issue has anything to do with IE11. I've been having this issue since 7.6.x, back when IE 8 was the most recent browser. I think more acurately it has to do with how The HTML Composer calculates its left / top positioning. As far as I can tell, whenever I click an element, there are a number of things the tool tries to calculate, most seem to be related to Width/Height/Left/Top. My guess is that this has more to do with that functionality then specifically the Browser that is installed on the machine.

Eric Woerle
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Posts: 750 | Location: Warrenville, IL | Registered: January 08, 2013Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I've had similar issues with HTML Composer deciding to change things I did not designate it to do so. In particular, when I utilize the auto-sizing properties to get some level of responsive behavior, and I move an existing or insert a new element, elements' positions decide to jump around without my permission. Hopefully IBI will fix these nuances here shortly.

8.2.02M (production), 8.2.02M (test), Windows 10, all outputs.

Posts: 1113 | Location: USA | Registered: January 27, 2015Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
CoolGuy,

As I've been talking to IBI about the composer, it seems that when using the Auto-Sizing properties, it is expected behavior for the elements to resize. I think this is done to support IE8 for responsive design. Although, I'm not a fan of that either. For me personally, I've decided that I'm not going to use the autosizing features. Instead I use my own CSS classes with relative positioning and Percentages coupled with MIN/MAX Height/Width. Of Course, I can say that I no longer support IE8 in my development. A luxury that IBI may not yet have. Remember that Min/Max Height/Width are not css elements that are recoginized in IE8.

Even so, without using the Autosizing Option, I've had my positions change greatly. Usually its on something I want to delete anyways. So I just find it in the element list and delete it.

Eric Woerle
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eric.woerle:
CoolGuy,

As I've been talking to IBI about the composer, it seems that when using the Auto-Sizing properties, it is expected behavior for the elements to resize. I think this is done to support IE8 for responsive design. Although, I'm not a fan of that either. For me personally, I've decided that I'm not going to use the autosizing features. Instead I use my own CSS classes with relative positioning and Percentages coupled with MIN/MAX Height/Width. Of Course, I can say that I no longer support IE8 in my development. A luxury that IBI may not yet have. Remember that Min/Max Height/Width are not css elements that are recoginized in IE8.

Even so, without using the Autosizing Option, I've had my positions change greatly. Usually its on something I want to delete anyways. So I just find it in the element list and delete it.

Good to know! Thanks Eric for the info. I didn't think to use CSS to get the added responsive behavior instead. Thanks for the insights.

8.2.02M (production), 8.2.02M (test), Windows 10, all outputs.

Posts: 1113 | Location: USA | Registered: January 27, 2015Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Layne:
Martin,
This issue presented itself this morning when using html composer. Was there ever a resolution to your case? I would appreciate any comment.

Thanks,
L. Harris

I have taken IE 11 back to IE 8. The mouse issue has been resolved. I now have control over the html page. I guess I will change the "automatic update" for IE 8, to leave it alone. Folks, thanks for your comments. I will leave this thread alone until Information Builders decides to fix this problem or Martin chooses to close it.

Regards,
L. Harris

WebFocus 7702, Windows 7, Excel

Master
posted Hide Post
Aha !! My instincts were right in this case (for a change). Layne reports it was the IE 11 issue.

I can only repeat what IBI said to me: 1) IE 11 is not supported and will cause elements to jump all over the place. 2) When it is supported it will start with the latest version of WF (8.x) and work backwards with patches to earlier versions (probably nothing before version 7).

WebFOCUS 7.7.05 Windows, Linux, DB2, IBM Lotus Notes, Firebird, Lotus Symphony/OpenOffice. Outputs PDF, Excel 2007 (for OpenOffice integration), WP

Posts: 674 | Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada ... In Focus since 1985 | Registered: September 28, 2010Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Solution is to rollback to earlier version of IE (prior to 11) or update to WF8+

In Focus since 2007