Focal Point
[CASE OPENED] OPSYS Security Set Up

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/2357090986

January 23, 2018, 03:16 PM
LarissaB
[CASE OPENED] OPSYS Security Set Up
Has anyone used the OPSYS security set up for their webfocus environment as a secondary setting?

We currently have our primary security set to Ldap, but I want to implement OPSYS so that our end users can use the SQL passthru feature, and have their windows authorization credentials authenticate them on the SQL Server side instead of implementing a single service account to authenticate that specific adaptor.

I was just curious if anyone else has done this or tried it and what their success rate was!

Thanks in advance,
Larissa

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

Version: 8.2.03M, OS/Platform: Windows 7 & 10, Output: Excel, pdf, html
January 23, 2018, 03:55 PM
FP Mod Chuck
Larissa

Are your OPSYS ID's and passwords different than LDAP. Most Windows environments even though you choose LDAP it is using Active Directory under the covers which should be the same as OPSYS. If they are the same you should just be able to change your adapter connection to use password passthru instead of an Explicit ID for the security

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats
January 23, 2018, 04:11 PM
LarissaB
Hey Chuck,
They are actually the same like you mentioned, but when I turn the option to password passthru, I get rejected as being able to connect to the DB since IBI sends those credentials as individual SQL users and not as a Windows Authentication credential. Per our DBA, the SSMS authentication can only be recognized as a windows authentication credential. To be fully transparent, I don’t understand the difference on the SSMS side of this equation. To me, the credentials seem to be the same (password passthru as well as an OPSYS or ldap entity)

Is there more information I could bring back to our DBA to maybe highlight exactly how IBI is passing those credentials?

January 23, 2018, 04:22 PM
FP Mod Chuck
Larissa

I do not see anything in the security and admin manual detailing how this works. I would suggest you open a case with techsupport and get help with this, I do know other customers have done this successfully I just wasn't part of setting it up.

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats
January 23, 2018, 04:45 PM
LarissaB
I didn't see any specifics in the documentation either Chuck. If we get to a resolution, I'll post the final findings here so someone may use this in the future!

As always, thank you for the discussion Chuck