Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     don't want to see empty values

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
don't want to see empty values
 Login/Join

<ort>
posted
Hi Hi !!

I want to print some numeric values from some table like:

print
phone_num
zip_code

but the output looks like this:
phone_num zip_code
5533221. 12345.

In order to cut the dot in the end of the output numbers I do:

print
phone_num/i7
zip_code/i5

But this coases the following problem:
If the table contains a record with empty values in those fields, I whant it to be empty in the output, instead I get "0" - zero

Report This Post
<Vipul>
posted
use the following
SET NODATA=''

Vipul

Report This Post
<Mark Smith>
posted
We found a problem where the NO DATA parameter was being ignored by our ETL server (version 525). We get "." when a null is read from a database or blanks are read from flat files. One of the responses on our case was that in some instances (when writing to an existing target) ETL uses FORMAT INTERNAL. This causes the "." to be written. If you use a new target ETL uses FORMAT ALPHA and does not put the "." in place. Because all of our targets can not be new targets we found that we could check for the existence of a "." in the target transform (using ETL Manager) and write out a blank (i.e. transform expression IF somecolumn EQ '.' THEN ' ' ELSE somecolumn). This is more work, but it is currently working well for us.

Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Have you tried using zero suppression?
If you don't know what that is here is an example:

TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT
SEATS
COMPUTE TEST/I2S = SEATS � 2;
END

The �S� and the end of the I2S is what does the suppression.

Posts: 406 | Location: Canada | Registered: May 31, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
ort,
if you just want the output report to not display the 0, then PRINT PHONE_NUM/I7S works very nicely. but remember its only a display mask, and doesn't change the actual field content.
but imho, phone numbers and zip codes should be alphabetic. so i would suggest redefining them to alpha fields, in your master file; But anyway, the NODATA thing only works on missing values. which is not the case here. unless you redefine
MYZIP/I5 MISSING ON=IF ZIP_CODE EQ 0 THEN MISSING ELSE ZIP_CODE;

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
<ort>
posted
Thank you all !!!
I just used S (like PHONE/I7S) and it worked !!

so simple...
I knew you would help me :-)

Report This Post
<ort>
posted
and what about DATE format fields ?

In this case, if the DB contains empty values in a date field, I also tried adding 'S' in the end like this:

PRINT
EXAM_DATE/I6MDYS

But I get in the output a strange date, like 00/03/62 - for a nonempty value.

Report This Post