Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Email notification for scheduler in Report Caster

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Email notification for scheduler in Report Caster
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Hello,
I need to configure Report Caster Console for a short email notification for scheduler.But I do not want report attachments in the mail. Jus want to receive a message like "Your report is scheduled" after the job is scheduled successfully.Can someone help me out to do this?

WebFOCUS 7.7.02(Production)
WebFOCUS 7.7.02(Test region)
Oracle backend (10g)and Windows Frontend.
HTML,PDF,EXL2K,FLEX,AHTML

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
suji

If you select the job you can click on the last tab that says " Settings".
Here you can select the notificatio: I only select "on error" but you can say "always"

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Frank,
When I change Settings as you said,I get an error message as follows:

Error sending brief notification to ssekhar@inautix.co.inCould not connect to SMTP host: inafpuxtas12, port: 25; nested exception is: java.net.Conn

Error sending notification.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
And if you selct " on error" it does work?

Is your email a real email adress or an alias?

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
The message in itself seems quite cleasr to me: Could not connect to SMTP host.
So:
= check if the SMTP host is correctly defined, iaw: does 'inafpuxtas12' exist and is it alive?
= is port 25 on the reportcaster machine enabled? Possibly the firewall closes this port and sometimes also the virus scanner locks the port.

Hope this helps in solving the issue ...

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Frank,
I dont think the problem is in selecting 'On error' or 'Always' .My email address is a real address (ssekhar@inautix.co.in) . I think I have to configure SMTP host name for email somewhere.

Gold member
posted Hide Post
GamP,
'inafpuxtas12' is FTP Host not Mail host. Where should I set Mail Host name?

Expert
posted Hide Post
In v5.3.2 it is set in the ReportCaster Server Configuration page.

Login to ReportCaster (http://your-server/rcaster/main/reportcaster.jsp),

clcik on "ReportCaster Server Configuration".

Look for "Mailhost" in the "General" tab.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Francis,
In the Distribution tab, I could select Email option and get mail notification with attachment. But I do not want attachment in email instead I want to send a short notification only in email stating that report is scheduled.How can I do this in Caster Console?

Thanks,
Suji.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Write a program against the BOTSCHED table identifying the scheduled jobs for that day;

then, email the report to yourself...

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Tom,
Can you please tell me how can I configure it in Reportcaster console? Also please give me a sample of the program for email notification.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Suji,

At the top of this thread is a FIND button,
Click it, type in BOTSCHED and click on Go.

Plenty of information regarding your task...

Tom

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
What you are wanting to do is not a Console configuration option. As Tom says, you will have to set up a process to get what you are looking for. ReportCaster does not, by itself, provide the functionality to email you and tell you that a job is scheduled. The only things it sends out are 1. The output of a report or 2. A notification ALWAYS/ON ERROR when a job is run. (Sometimes it also sends out error messages, but that's a different subject altogether. Smiler )

BOTSCHED table contains the information for all scheduled jobs, so just write a report against that table and schedule it however often you need it.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Darin,
What I want now is to send a notification ALWAYS when a job is run. But I get an error message .Can you please tell me the steps to configure it in Caster Console?

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
What's the error message?

This is all in the documentation and is not very complex. If you're still getting an error after setting up notification in the "Settings" tab, you need to make sure that your email host is properly set up under ReportCaster Server Configuration as documented in the installation manual.

If you can't get that to work, you need to contact your local branch and get an SE to help you or contact ibi technical support and open a case.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Darin,
quote:
Error sending brief notification to ssekhar@inautix.co.inCould not connect to SMTP host: inafpuxtas12, port: 25; nested exception is: java.net.Conn

Error sending notification.

this is the error message.

Thanks,
Suji.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
'inafpuxtas12' is FTP Host not Mail host. Where should I set Mail Host name?

Referring to your post of Apr24, are you still trying to send email via an FTP server or is the email server on the same box-different port?

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991

posted Hide Post
I have seen the error message a number of times. One or more of the following may be the issue:

1. The "Notify Mailhost" isn't set. You can set this in the Report Caster Configuration screen (Distribution Server Environment Settings). The "Notify Mailhost" is on the "General" table under "Email Delivery". A lot of people leave this blank when installing WebFOCUS because they aren't sure what it's for.

2. The email address you gave is not a legitimate address ("joe" vs. joecool@mycompany.com)

3. Your SMTP mail server isn't configured to accept the WebFOCUS reporting server as a sender. This is usually done as a security mechanism to prevent the SMTP server from becoming a SPAM generator. Your mail server administrator can fix this.

4. Your firewall or anti-virus software is preventing outbound email for the same reason as #3 above. Check to see if port 25 is blocked.

5. Another common email server error occurs if your email server allows the Report Caster Distribution Server to send mail to names INSIDE your company only (e.g. I can email myself at my work email address, but not my yahoo or hotmail account). This is also controlled by your SMTP email server administrator.

You may want to open an InfoResponse case at InfoResponse, if you have not been able to resolve the issue with one of these solutions.

Good luck.

WebFOCUS 53, 71, 76 - All Platforms

Posts: 15 | Location: Information Builders - Chicago | Registered: May 08, 2003Report This Post