Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Unwanted line spacing in a PDF

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Unwanted line spacing in a PDF
 Login/Join

posted
Hello,

I have been looking for a solution of the problem that is described by the following piece of code:
TABLE FILE CAR
BY CAR NOPRINT

ON CAR SUBHEAD
"<CAR "     
ON CAR SUBFOOT
"<SEATS "
"<MODEL "
ON TABLE SET PAGE-NUM OFF 
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT PDF
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
     UNITS=IN,
     SQUEEZE=ON,
     ORIENTATION=PORTRAIT,
$
TYPE=REPORT,
     GRID=ON,
     FONT='TIMES NEW ROMAN',
     SIZE=10,
$
ENDSTYLE
END

What I want is the possibility not to have a DATA row in a generated report, but generate SUBFOOTs and SUBHEADINGs where necessary.

When outputing the report into PDF there is a line spacing between the SUBHEAD and the SUBFOOT, which seems as a blank line and is not reflected by the font size (i.e. the blank line's height is the same whether I use font size 10 or 30).

I have tried various ways to remove this blank and non of the attributes have come in handy

I know that the requirement not to have a print statement is a bit awkward, but in certain situations I just need this functionality and this blank line is my only show-stopper. I would be grateful if someone could give me some tips on how to deal with this... even if it is a workaround.

Thanks!

WebFOCUS 7.6, Windows XP, Output: HTML, PDF

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
since the sort value is the same, why don't you just put both of them in the subhead? If there is no data to print, it won't make any difference.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Darin Lee:
since the sort value is the same, why don't you just put both of them in the subhead? If there is no data to print, it won't make any difference.

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion, but even if I put everything in the subhead, there will be unneeded space between the subhead and the non-existing/invisible subfoot. Please check the sample with everything in the subhead.

So, this is not a resolution of my problem.

If anyone has other ideas, please share them with me!

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Not quite sure where you're going with this. How can there be space between a subhead and a non-existing footing?

This code yields the following result:
TABLE FILE CAR
BY CAR NOPRINT
ON CAR SUBHEAD
"<CAR "     
"<SEATS "
"<MODEL "
ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
     UNITS=IN,
     SQUEEZE=ON,
     ORIENTATION=PORTRAIT,
$
TYPE=REPORT,
     GRID=OFF,
     FONT='TIMES NEW ROMAN',
     SIZE=10,
$
ENDSTYLE
END

ALFA ROMEO
2000 SPIDER VELOCE

AUDI
100 LS 2 DOOR AUTO

BMW
530I 4 DOOR AUTO

DATSUN
B210 2 DOOR AUTO

JAGUAR
XJ12L AUTO

JENSEN
INTERCEPTOR III

MASERATI
DORA 2 DOOR

PEUGEOT
504 4 DOOR

TOYOTA
COROLLA 4 DOOR DIX AUTO

TRIUMPH
TR7

What is it exactly that isn't what you want? The line in between the records? If so, that won't go away because space is reserved for your verb objects (fields) but you have them all NOPRINTed. However, don't build yourself such a small box. There are many ways to make things appear the way you want them. The output of the following code appears identical but without a blank space between records, even though the approach is completely different.
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT CAR AS '' OVER
SEATS AS '' OVER
MODEL
BY CAR NOPRINT
ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON
ON TABLE SET ONLINE-FMT PDF
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
     UNITS=IN,
     SQUEEZE=ON,
     ORIENTATION=PORTRAIT,
$
TYPE=REPORT,
     GRID=ON,
     FONT='TIMES NEW ROMAN',
     SIZE=10,
$
TYPE=DATA, JUSTIFY=LEFT,$
ENDSTYLE
END

Back up and look at the requirement, without restricting or assuming the methods used to get there.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
If you are not showing any data values at all in the DATA row then it seems that you cannot control the row. You need to show at least one data field and then place an AS '' to hide the column title. Then use stylesheet syntax to shrink the data row and change the text color and the background color to the same value.

Here's an example:

TABLE FILE CAR
BY CAR AS ''
ON CAR SUBHEAD
"<CAR "
"<SEATS "
"<MODEL "
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT PDF
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
TYPE=DATA,
TOPGAP=0.000, BOTTOMGAP=0.000,
BACKCOLOR=WHITE, COLOR=WHITE, SIZE=1,$
ENDSTYLE
END

Thanks!

Mickey

FOCUS/WebFOCUS 1990 - 2011

Posts: 995 | Location: Gaithersburg, MD, USA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Mickey,

This piece of code shows exactly what I wanted visually. I.e. if the report was going to be just printed then everything could be done in the way you suggest.

However, if you copy/paste the text from the PDF - then the hidden text would be there, which is bad.

I was really looking forward to be able to control the data stylesheet, without the need to actually have any data, but as you mentioned - this seems not to be the case.

I will have your workaround in mind as it seems the best solution so far. Thanks!