Focal Point
Reporting objects

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/2391097331

August 31, 2004, 06:44 PM
newtofocus
Reporting objects
Hi,

I need to find out how we can hide some fields from users in reporting objects. Using database view is one option but I am wondering if there is any other way that I could do using webfocus.

Thanks.
August 31, 2004, 06:53 PM
mgrackin
If you are using WebFOCUS to report from a NON-FOCUS data source such as an RDBMS then it is real easy to hide fields from users.

When creating a Master FIle Description for the RDBMS tables, include in the MFD only the fields you would like the users to see. WebFOCUS does not care how many fields are actually in the table itself. You can even reference a field more than once in the MFD as two different names and it will work.
August 31, 2004, 09:55 PM
susannah
Dear NewTo;
What version are you in? if you are in 526, its possible. if you are in 525, you need a download.
Art Greenhaus at ibi has written this routine and your salesperson or tech rep should be able to help you contact him, or get the add in file and the documentation from him for you.
What you'll get is a replacement for the ibiapplets.txt (if you're in 525), then you have to make an edit to your site.wfs
Basically, you'll specify some field name characteristics (for ALL files) that you want to exclude(hide) from Reporting OBjects, then you just make new masters, with the hidable fields named with, say, 'xxx' if thats the field characteristics you've decided to hide.
Clear as mud, i know; we all wish it were easier. But we're happy to have a workaround.
(This is for Focus Reporting Objects.)