Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CASE-OPENED] avoid line breaks in text field

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CASE-OPENED] avoid line breaks in text field
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
I have a comments text field that can have up to 2gb data.
I need to print the comments text field like a paragraph.
Issue is when I print the text field, it breaks in to multiple lines with out being a one continuous big line.
From what I understand from the documentation
(from the documentation:Text fields can be used to store large amounts of data and display it with line
breaks.), text fields do display linebreaks in between the text.
Is there a way to avoid line breaks in the text field?
I do not want to split in to multiple fields and then display them because for 2GB worth of data, it will be too many fields to split.

Thank you.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

7.7.01,windows2008 R2

Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
I need to print the comments text field like a paragraph.
Issue is when I print the text field, it breaks in to multiple lines with out being a one continuous big line.

I don't understand. The second sentence seems to be exactly what you are looking for in the first sentence... And 2GB in one field is definitely a stretch. Others here, who are much smarter than me, will tell you precisely what the limits are. I suspect you are going to have to READ your text, word by word, from a file, and then re-concatenate the text in your report.

WebFOCUS 7.7.05 Windows, Linux, DB2, IBM Lotus Notes, Firebird, Lotus Symphony/OpenOffice. Outputs PDF, Excel 2007 (for OpenOffice integration), WP

Posts: 674 | Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada ... In Focus since 1985 | Registered: September 28, 2010Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
SET PAGE = NOPAGE
DEFINE FILE CAR
SAMPLE_TEXT/TX50= 'This is a test for Text field. Lines get broken in the middle of the page.  They are not continuous.  Any alternative for this?';
END
TABLE FILE CAR
BY COUNTRY NOPRINT SUBFOOT
"<SAMPLE_TEXT"
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT DOC
END
-EXIT

Please run the above code. You would see what I mean. The sentence should have run through the entire length of the page instead of breaking in the middle.
I understand that it is because I defined the text field as TX50. Even I define it to max length of 256 characters, still the lines would break after 256 characters. Our users enter long text. So, TX256 is also not an option for me.

Thank you

7.7.01,windows2008 R2

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
The only way I know is to create the field as an A32000, Actual and Usage.

Bu that is the read limit, so I do not think that you will ever display more than just under 32k.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Alan. That is exactly what I am doing currently. But, I was checking to see if there are any other alternatives.
I opened a case with IBI on this.
Wouldn't it be nice to be able to print the text field the way it is stored in the database?

Thanks.

7.7.01,windows2008 R2

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
TX fields are designed for displaying large amounts of text in paragraph form. The length you specify for the field determines the width of the paragraph. If you want Word to determine the width of the paragraph, then use an alpha field and let Word wrap the text where it wants. If the data is stored as TX, you can either increase the size (width) of the TX field or convert it to an alpha field in a DEFINE or COMPUTE:

DEFINE FILE CAR
 SAMPLE_TEXT1/TX50 = 'This is a test for Text field. Lines get broken in the middle of the page.  They are not continuous.  Any alternative for this?';
 SAMPLE_TEXT2/TX65 = SAMPLE_TEXT1 ;
 ALPHA_TEXT/A32000 = SAMPLE_TEXT1 ;
END
TABLE FILE CAR
 BY COUNTRY NOPRINT SUBFOOT
  "<SAMPLE_TEXT1"
  " "
  "<SAMPLE_TEXT2"
  " "
  "<ALPHA_TEXT"
 WHERE RECORDLIMIT EQ 1 ;
 ON TABLE SET PAGE NOPAGE
 ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT DOC
END

WebFOCUS 7.7.05

Posts: 1213 | Location: Seattle, Washington - USA | Registered: October 22, 2007Report This Post