Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Format Alpha output is different through application than through App Studio

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Format Alpha output is different through application than through App Studio
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
I have inherited some WebFOCUS programs that are currently running correctly in 8.0.0.7 and now we are upgrading to 8.2.0.2M and they are not working the same.

These programs save the report output like this

ON TABLE HOLD AS H1 FORMAT ALPHA

then right below that this command is in the code

-HTMLFORM H1

Ther is a note that says the above line is done to remove the right padding that format ALPHA creates.

This is used as input to another system and the values have to have double quotes around them and commas in between each field.

One of the fields is 2000 in length, and at one point in the fex both trailing and leading spaces are removed, however the possiblity that the field can be up to 2000 is still there.

We also have a header and a footer that is double quoted around each value as well, so after the header, the data, and the footer are together in one file, an MFD is created in the fex that makes one field the size we need of 2500.

I am not familiar with how -HTMLFORM works on a file like H1 above, but in the older verison of WF it somehow removed the spaces to the right of each record (essentially the end of each line), but that doesn't seme to be happening in 8.2.0.2M

Maybe there is some setting that needs to be done on the server to have that work correctly, but I am not sure.

I can run the same program through my App Studio (8.2.0.2M) and it removes those trailing spaces, but once the report runs through the actual server it doesn't remove the trailing spaces. Sounds like it may be a setting but am not sure.

I am not sure if I can duplicate this using the CAR file since the field size is so large, and I am not able to show my data for security reasons.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Paul

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I don't use it but maybe the doc can help.

https://webfocusinfocenter.inf...15-A367-37A8AEAAFCA7

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks BabakNYC - I looked at this but don't think it will help, but thank you for looking at my post and offering help.

When the file is saved as a filename (H1) with the format ALPHA, and then the -HTMLFORM H1 command runs, it then opens the file to my browser when I run it thru App Studio and the trailing spaces are gone. When it runs through the application it gets saved to the library as a text file and when we open it, the trailing spaces are still there (all of this is 8.2.0.2M.

It is sounding more and more to me like there may be a difference in how the server is interpreting -HTMLFORM than how my App Studio is, but I am just not sure of what that might be.

Thanks.

Paul

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
IB Tech Support might be able to help you figure it out. You should open a case with them. Also, don't forget to update this so we know as well.

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post