Focal Point
[CLOSED] Anybody get a map to work with an Excel Template?

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/2427077396

June 29, 2020, 12:00 PM
John_Edwards
[CLOSED] Anybody get a map to work with an Excel Template?
I'm trying to drive data into an Excel Spreadsheet so that it presents a map of my states counties or zips in a map.

I have created an excel template that has the columns for the map data, and a map that is based on those columns. I can change and delete the data in the columns (in the template) and the map responds beautifully.

When I use the template for the report output the map disappears. I am this close to success.

Question -- am I doing something that's possible? Has anyone done this successfully?

The go-to line of code --

ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT XLSX TEMPLATE 'id_map_template_2.xltm' SHEETNUMBER 1

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

June 29, 2020, 12:12 PM
John_Edwards
By the way, I will mention that IBI's forums are head and shoulders better than Microsoft's, which appear to have been created by 300 different employees, all working separately from each other.

June 29, 2020, 02:26 PM
John_Edwards
Alright, so I've learned a couple of things.

1. It's valuable to have data entries on the Excel sheet where your data is supposed to land. Without it I did not get Text fields nor column headings (also text) filled in. Best guess -- Excel assumed numbers and bounced them as junk. Don't know, but the problem got fixed by putting example data in place. Text fields magically appeared.

2. If you tell WebFOCUS to drop the data in Sheet 1, it is going to nuke Sheet one. Even if your data is a 3x4 grid of numbers all of Sheet one will be overwritten. I had to build my map on another sheet, and it referenced the numbers correctly from Sheet 1. I think you can send data to ranges, but I needed a big map, so it made sense to drop all the data into a different sheet.

I have this running now. Thanks to all who responded!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: John_Edwards,