Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED]Responsive Grid
Page 1 2 

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED]Responsive Grid
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
Does anyone have an example of using the responsive grid (tablesaw or footable)? I attended a user group meeting recently and they showed that. They sent us all a zip file with a ton of stuff in it, but it requires you to import it into your environment, and I'm too new with version 8 to want to try that. I have a few reports where I'd like so slide a few columns underneath, when the screen size is narrow like on a tablet or phone. This is so cool.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Emily McAllister>,

Webfocus 8
Windows, Linux

Posts: 258 | Location: Palm Coast, FL | Registered: February 05, 2010Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
That was in 8.2, which isn't out yet. Where you in the one in Jax, FL? If so that was us, I was on the back row.

- FOCUS Man, just FOCUS!
-----------------------------
Product: WebFOCUS
Version: 8.1.04
Server: Windows 2008 Server

Guru
posted Hide Post
Yep, I was in the front row. I must have missed the part about it being in 8.2, thanks.

It was a great meeting - I learned a lot. And the Black Knight building is gorgeous.

Webfocus 8
Windows, Linux

Posts: 258 | Location: Palm Coast, FL | Registered: February 05, 2010Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
I think you sit right in front of me. I had the beard.

- FOCUS Man, just FOCUS!

Guru
posted Hide Post
I was the fat guy Smiler

Webfocus 8
Windows, Linux

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
LOL You guys crack me up. Good to hear this functionality is built into 8.2. Hope that comes out soon. I've tried using the footable.js plugin myself with mixed results.

8.2.02M (production), 8.2.02M (test), Windows 10, all outputs.

Posts: 1113 | Location: USA | Registered: January 27, 2015Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was the fat guy

Haha, I was the guy that kept bringing up, the access removal of our html code in 8.2... Smiler

- FOCUS Man, just FOCUS!

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Gavin,

Did they seal off HTML code access even more in 8.2?

Master
posted Hide Post
Actually, they started in 8.1.05. They took away the "Edit in Text Editor". There are two options.

1. Rename all your HTML's to FEX and use -HTMLFORM BEGIN/END.
2. Go into property, change your html file to TXT, then open the file, then change it back to HTM when your done. I'm sure IBI will attempt to block this option in the future as they gave me a story about how a customer broke their HTML by changing the IBI code and they spent a week working on it, before they figure it out. This is their logic of taking away this menu option. I don't use their code at all, so people like me have to do the work around.

- FOCUS Man, just FOCUS!

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Gavin,

So, nothing new from 8.1.05 then. They don't have the "Edit in Text Editor" option for HTML documents in our release like your were saying. I've been using workarounds myself.

They didn't take "Edit in Text Editor" out for .fexes now also did they? That would be like the end for us with IBI if that was the case. haha

Thanks for the information and update!

Master
posted Hide Post
They removed it for HTMLs only.

- FOCUS Man, just FOCUS!

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gavin! Good to know. Hopefully things will get better over time.

Expert
posted Hide Post
8.1.05 comes with a box of extra-strength Tylenol...

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
...and a loaded revolver Smiler

Webfocus 8
Windows, Linux

Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolGuy:
LOL You guys crack me up. Good to hear this functionality is built into 8.2. Hope that comes out soon. I've tried using the footable.js plugin myself with mixed results.

I just got the necessary files set up yesterday. I got it working on one of my reports in about 2 hours. That's the good news. The bad news is, I cannot seem to make it work if my report has Webfocus Page headings! That sticks an extra table into the HTML and screws it all up. I've been fighting that since yesterday morning and I'm just going in circles. Very frustrating.

Webfocus 8
Windows, Linux

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that bites. One would need to know how to modify existing jQuery to take into account the extra table element. I am somewhat familiar with the framework, but am no expert as of yet.

IBI should add some documentation for how a report/table request is generated in HTML (all case scenarios: with/without a header/footer, subtotals, etc.). In other words, what elements are used and when/why. Then again, I guess we could build out a few simple CAR file reports and look at the HTML where possible. Nevertheless...

Guru
posted Hide Post
I've been fighting it all day. I hate how they make it look so easy at the user group meetings.
I notified Rene that it doesn't work with webfocus page headings. She said she'd look into it, but she's traveling right now, so I'm trying to figure it out on my own. Better hurry, I'm almost out of hair.

Webfocus 8
Windows, Linux

Expert
posted Hide Post
The JS below uses jQuery to alter the display behaviour of a table within a table (the HEADING in a WebFOCUS HTML report). Perhaps changing the display from the default "inline" will help solve the responsive issue (I set a red border to prove that the correct element is referenced):
$( "table table" ).css( { "border": "1px solid red", "display": "block" } );

Then check these web pages:

CSS-Tricks > display (one of my favourite CSS sites)
MDN > Web technology for developers > CSS > display

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
IBI making it harder to get to HTML.... Sounds like instead of improving the tool they decided to double down on being a PITA.

Eric Woerle
8.1.05M Gen 913- Reporting Server Unix
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Posts: 750 | Location: Warrenville, IL | Registered: January 08, 2013Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Rumor has it that the Text Editor is coming back in 8.2.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rumor has it that the Text Editor is coming back in 8.2.
- Haha! Joke of the day! Good One

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
I heard from a credible source, but you never know.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05

Guru
posted Hide Post
Many thanks for the tips.

I ended up removing the webfocus headings. Then I used jquery to add some h1 and h2 lines before the body of the page. That worked fine, but I had a line on the heading that said "xx Address Changes performed this month", where xx was a TOT.COUNT of the records. I put that into a subfoot instead, so as long as the main report was the FIRST table on the page, then the footable methods worked. I'm not good enough yet with jquery to figure out how to do it right.

Webfocus 8
Windows, Linux

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Glad you found something that works for you. At some point I will need to revisit the responsive grid implementation for our reports.

Francis,

Thanks for your links and tips.

MattC,

I would love to believe IBI would be bringing the text editor back in the 8.2 release. From my experiences thus far with IBI in regard to that subject, I don't think it will be happening. Dare we throw an olive branch their way? lol

Guru
posted Hide Post
I asked Rene (the IBI rep who gave the user group presentation on this topic) if she could review the heading problem, so we'll see if they can come up with a proper work-around. I appreciate that they gave us at least a start on this, but I would really like to see them implement the thing completely. I'm still trying, but I'll be out of time pretty soon.

Webfocus 8
Windows, Linux

Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
@CoolGuy said: I would love to believe IBI would be bringing the text editor back in the 8.2 release

They will not be bringing it back, even though, ever developer wants it there. My work around is simple, everything is done in FEX and the use of -HTMLFORM BEGIN/END

Since I do all my own HTML development anyway, I don't have to deal with half of their issues.

- FOCUS Man, just FOCUS!

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Gavin,

That's what I figured, but "rumors" are afoot, so I was trying to be hopeful/believing. lol

I agree that just using the -HTMLFORM BEGIN/END is the way to go unless IBI puts the text editor back in one day.

Thanks.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Any updates on an official or good workaround for adding headings into a report with tablesaw or footable Js in place??? My team lead is wanting me to revisit this functionality since AHTML sucks on mobile.

Any new developments on this front???

Thanks in advance!

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
For those interested,

Don't use tablesaw.js or footable.js. Use datatables.js instead. So much better.

http://datatables.net/

I've integrated a header into the mix by adding the following line into my Js:

$("body").prepend( "<b>For week ending !IBI.AMP.WKEND; !IBI.AMP.forMsg;</b>");

Made it dynamic too.

Here is my -HTMLFORM block for implementing dataTables.js. It has Search, sorting, pagination, styling abilities, etc. all built in. Way nicer than jigsaw/sander (tablesaw) or footable.

-HTMLFORM BEGIN
<script type="text/javascript" src="/ibi_apps/jquery/js/jquery.min.js"></script>

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="https://cdn.datatables.net/t/dt/dt-1.10.11,fc-3.2.1,fh-3.1.1,r-2.0.2,se-1.1.2/datatables.min.css"/>
<script type="text/javascript" src="https://cdn.datatables.net/t/dt/dt-1.10.11,fc-3.2.1,fh-3.1.1,r-2.0.2,se-1.1.2/datatables.min.js"></script>

<style>
td {
line-height: .8em;
}
th, td {
white-space: nowrap;
}
td, tbody th {
vertical-align: middle;
text-align: right;
font-size: .7em;
}
table thead th, table thead td {
color: white;
font-size: .7em;
text-shadow: none;
text-align: center;
}
b {
font-size: 1.05em;
font-family: Trebuchet MS;
}
.x5 {
display:none;
}
.x6 {
display: none;
}
.dataTables_wrapper {
font-family: Trebuchet MS;
}
</style>
<script>

$("body").prepend( "<b>For week ending !IBI.AMP.WKEND; !IBI.AMP.forMsg;</b>");
$('.x1').addClass('stripe hover compact cell-border');
$('table').first().prepend('<thead></thead>');
-*$('colgroup').first().remove();
$("tr:first-child").prependTo($('thead'));

$(document).ready( function ()
{
	var iStart = new Date().getTime();
	var oTable = $('.x1').dataTable(
	{
		"scrollY": true,
		"scrollX": "300%",
		"sScrollXInner": "100%",
		"scrollCollapse": false,
-*		responsive: true,
		"lengthChange": true,
		"lengthMenu": [[5, 20, 50, 100, -1], [5, 20, 50, 100, "All"]],
		"paging": true,
		"pagingType": "full_numbers",
		"info": true,
		"pageLength": 20,
-*		"autoWidth": false,
		fixedHeader: true,
		fixedColumns: {
        	leftColumns: 3
    	},
		"ordering": true,
		"columnDefs": [
    		{ "type": "html-num-fmt", "targets": [ 0, 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ] }
-*			{ "orderable": false, "targets": [3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ]}
  		]
	} );
} );

</script>
-HTMLFORM END

Just plug the above block into the bottom of any of your report fexes, but inspect the page source first to see what class your table was given and your total row's and the following empty row's td tags were given and switch out any instances above of .x1 with your table class, and any instances of .x5/.x6 with your total row td tag class generated or what class the following empty row was given. The .x5 and .x6 classes are for getting rid of the extra blank row that generates at the end of your report if you choose/don't choose a total row to be included. Was having troubles with total rows in tablesaw.js so that was why this was implemented. Not sure if total rows are chill now with just datatables.js. Need to check! haha

EDIT: Forgot to mention that you'll need to modify the columnDefs.type targets with the right number of indexes specific to your report(s). Columns are 0 indexed.

UPDATE: Setting sScrollXInner to something larger that 100% will cause reports to crash on iOS browsers. Also, I don't have the fixed columns currently working in iOS either yet.
Additionally, to get horizontal scrolling to work on Android for reports with fixed columns, you have to use 2 fingers to scroll.

Any questions, let me know!

Insta-make any of your HTML or AHTML reports far better than they were... lol

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CoolGuy,

Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GavinL:
quote:
@CoolGuy said: I would love to believe IBI would be bringing the text editor back in the 8.2 release

They will not be bringing it back, even though, ever developer wants it there. My work around is simple, everything is done in FEX and the use of -HTMLFORM BEGIN/END

Since I do all my own HTML development anyway, I don't have to deal with half of their issues.

As recently as this morning, I had to hack the HTML code that App Studio was generating for a project I'm working on. I wanted to remove a label component from within a panel and I could not click on it to select it. There is a drop down control in App Studio to select an element by name (ID), but selecting that way didn't work, either.

My solution was to edit the HTML directly and remove all references to the label. That fixed the problem, but of course now I get nag messages every time I open the HTML app saying what a naughty boy I was for using my brain to word around an App Studio bug.

This is not the first time I've had to do this, either.

App Studio
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Windows, All Outputs

Posts: 594 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 04, 2015Report This Post