Focal Point
[CLOSED] Filter other panels in same Dashboard

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/2447012196

April 02, 2019, 11:29 AM
Shingles
[CLOSED] Filter other panels in same Dashboard
Hello,

I'm in a position where I need several panels in a dashboard to interact with eachother. For example, if a bar is clicked on panel A, then panel B and C update to show only data related to that bar. I think this is a very basic BI thing to do, but with all the extra coding that I'm doing this feels like a hack. And I would rather not code that way.

I've inherited my BI environment and my predecessor has often used the drillRefresh JavaScript function to get this done. And all the panels are defined in BI Portal. I can work with this, but I hit some walls when using another htm file as a filter panel (this htm file is used to update every panel via a submit button and several drop downs and what not). The problem stems with how/when quotes are put around the variables. I'm having to use two separate variables to filter the same column which just seems wrong.

As an alternate I tried using the Tasks and Animations panel in HTML canvas, but to be honest I can't remember what the issue was there. Needless to say I was unsuccessful.

So... how do you folks do this? What are some pros and cons to these different approaches? Is there some other way to do this?

Whatever I've done seems like a hack and I have to think there is a better way. I think what I'm trying to do here (linking different panels) is the MAIN selling feature of a BI, and I can't help thinking that I'm going about this wrong.

Thank you,

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

WebFOCUS 8201, SP 0.1, Windows 7, HTML
April 02, 2019, 11:37 AM
FP Mod Chuck
Shingles

One of the options on creating a drill down (Hyperlink) is to Refresh BI Portal. This option when all reports have the same &variable name will refresh any reports in that portal.

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats
April 02, 2019, 12:04 PM
Shingles
quote:
Originally posted by FP Mod Chuck:
Shingles

One of the options on creating a drill down (Hyperlink) is to Refresh BI Portal. This option when all reports have the same &variable name will refresh any reports in that portal.

Using drillRefresh? Is there another way to do this?

WebFOCUS 8201, SP 0.1, Windows 7, HTML
April 02, 2019, 04:33 PM
FP Mod Chuck
Shingles

This was the only idea I had... Maybe someone else knows of something else.

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats