Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Flexible printing in compound PDF

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Flexible printing in compound PDF
 Login/Join

Virtuoso
posted
I've been trying to get a compound PDF to print reports in a flexible way, but am not very successful.
Issue is:
I have two reports on the compound PDF page.
Both occupy half the page (when designing) so nr 2 has been placed immediately below nr 1.
Problem is that I do not know up front how many records there will be in report1.
What I'd like to see as a result is that report1 starts and fills the page, overflows and goes to the next page etc etc, until there are no more records, and that only then report2 starts.
What I see happening is that report1 starts, overflows to next pages and such, but report2 is also started on the first page and overwrites report1.
And I can't seem to get it right ...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GamP,

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
What sort of compound report are you using ?

Can you post code ?

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Mke the first report "Flowing" and link the second report to it.

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Hi.

We hardly ever use the actual PDF-composer.

SET COMPOUND = OPEN NOBREAK
-INCLUDE PART1.PDF
SET COMPOUND = NOBREAK
-INCLUDE PART2.PDF
SET COMPOUND =
-INCLUDE PART3.PDF
SET COMPOUND = CLOSE
-INCLUDE PART4.PDF

etc.

Posts: 668 | Location: Veghel, The Netherlands | Registered: February 16, 2010Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Thanks, but alas no success.
My code:
-* Default Mode: ResourceLayout
SET HTMLARCHIVE=ON
*-HOLD_SOURCE
COMPOUND LAYOUT PCHOLD FORMAT PDF
UNITS=CM, $
SECTION=section1, LAYOUT=ON, METADATA='prop_with_names^Margins_Left=0.5^Margins_Top=0.5^Margins_Right=0.5^Margins_Bottom=0.5^thumbnailscale=4', 
 MERGE=OFF, ORIENTATION=PORTRAIT, PAGESIZE=A4, SHOW_GLOBALFILTER=OFF, $
PAGELAYOUT=1, NAME='Page layout 1', text='Page layout 1', TOC-LEVEL=1, BOTTOMMARGIN=0.5, TOPMARGIN=0.5,
 METADATA='BOTTOMMARGIN=0.5,TOPMARGIN=0.5,LEFTMARGIN=0,RIGHTMARGIN=0,', $
COMPONENT='report1', TEXT='report1', TOC-LEVEL=2, POSITION=(0.476 0.794), DIMENSION=(* *), BYTOC=0,  ARREPORTSIZE=DIMENSION,
 METADATA='left: 0.476cm; top: 0.794cm; width: 20.108cm; height: 14.817cm; position: absolute; z-index: 1;', $
COMPONENT='report2', TEXT='report2', TOC-LEVEL=2, POSITION=(1.216 16.415), DIMENSION=(* *), BYTOC=0,  ARREPORTSIZE=DIMENSION,
 METADATA='left: 1.216cm; top: 16.415cm; width: 19.844cm; height: 12.965cm; position: absolute; z-index: 2;', $
END
SET COMPONENT='report1'
-*component_type report
-INCLUDE try_it1.fex
SET COMPONENT='report2'
-*component_type report
-INCLUDE try_it2.fex
COMPOUND END

The try_it fexes:
-* File try_it1.fex

-DEFAULT &STRNG = 'a'

TABLE FILE HR
PRINT *
WHERE LASTNAME CONTAINS &STRNG.QUOTEDSTRING;
ON TABLE SET PAGE-NUM NOLEAD
-*ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT PDF
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
     INCLUDE = ENblue-medium,
$
ENDSTYLE
END

and:
-* File: try_it2.fex

-DEFAULT &STRNG = 'a'

TABLE FILE INVENTO
SUM   PRICE
      COST
      QUANTITYINSTOCK
BY    PRODUCTNAME
BY    PRODUCTCATEGORY
WHERE PRODUCTCATEGORY CONTAINS &STRNG.QUOTEDSTRING;
ON TABLE SET PAGE-NUM NOLEAD
-*ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT PDF
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
     INCLUDE = ENblue-medium,
$
ENDSTYLE
END

Dave: I tried the compound open nobreak, no luck.
Doug: Both reports are set to flowing. I have no idea how to link report2 to report1. There is nothing in the graphical interface that even hints to this possibility.

Any ideas anyone?

GamP

in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Gamp,

You need to change the POSITION ttributes to relative instead of arbitary by using + or - and also make use of the RELATIVE-TO, RELATIVE-POINT and POSITION-POINT syntax.

You should be able to locate them in the online help files - there's too much to include it here Smiler

Good luck.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tony, that helped me out!
I now have coded:
PAGELAYOUT=1, NAME='Page layout 1', text='Page layout 1', $
COMPONENT='report1', TEXT='report1', POSITION=( 0.6  0.6), DIMENSION=(* *), 
   OVERFLOW-POSITION=(0.6 0.6), OVERFLOW-DIMENSION=(20 28), $
COMPONENT='report2', TEXT='report2', POSITION=(+0.0 +0.6), DIMENSION=(* *),
   RELATIVE-TO='report1', RELATIVE-POINT=BOTTOM-LEFT, POSITION-POINT=TOP-LEFT, $

which does exactly what I want it to do.
Just don't try to open it in the graphical tool - it will totally mess up the output....

GamP

in Focus since 1988

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
GamP,
IMHO you should tag your post as [SOLVED] not [CLOSED] since you found a solution; just to follow forum's guidelines.

[SOLVED] – This should be placed in the subject title when a solution to the question has been posted in the thread. There are many great discussions and solutions on Focal Point. Using this keyword will help communicate to everyone when a solution has been received. This will also be helpful in the future for new Focal Point members when they are searching for answers to questions they have. If this keyword appears in the subject title they will know there is a solution in the thread.

[CLOSED] – This should be placed in the subject title when if a solution/suggestion is given, or if a request for more info is made, e.g. code, master files, and we follow-up with the topic starter via one private message, but there is no response or update from the topic starter in 2 business days. This is similar to [SOLVED] except that there is no final confirmation from the topic starter.

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2409 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Report This Post