Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] ReportCaster and dynamic includes

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] ReportCaster and dynamic includes
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
In several procedures we use dynamic includes which are created during execution, e.g.

FILEDEF dynamic_defines DISK dynamic_defines.ftm
-RUN
TABLE FILE XYZ
ON TABLE HOLD AS dynamic_defines FORMAT DFIX DELIMITER ' ' HEADER NO
END
-RUN

DEFINE FILE &FCT_TABLE ADD
-INCLUDE dynamic_defines
END

Works like magic for several purposes, but when using this procedure in ReportCaster and using the Advanced button to provide Parameter values I get the error "WebFOCUS Reporting Server procedure cannot be found".
This is probably because ReportCaster parses the procedure plus all includes for Parameters (amper variables) and can not open the includes that are dynamically created, because they are ony there during execution.

I know there is a workaround to temporarily comment out the include, or I should maybe create empty procedures for all those dynamic ones somewhere in the path.

I am however wondering if there is somewhere a setting to tell ReportCaster to ignore (not to parse) includes that are not present.

I also have the strange situation that I do get this error message in our Development system, but not in our Production system. I our production system I can schedule these procedures and enter Parameter values through the Advanced button without this error. So I wonder if there is some setting. I checked several places but could not find.
Or might it be due to different versions. In our Production system we use ReportCaster version 7703 (gen 182), and in the Development system 7705 (gen 55).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

WebFocus 8206M, iWay DataMigrator, Windows, DB2 Windows V10.5, MS SQL Server, Azure SQL, Hyperstage, ReportCaster

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
If the issue is as you suspect, a work-around would be to encapsulate the -INCLUDE ...
-SET &include= '-INCLUDE dynamic_defines' ;

DEFINE FILE &FCT_TABLE ADD
&include.EVAL
END

...so it acts as a -INCLUDE at run time, but does not look like one to the parser.

- Jack Gross
WF through 8.1.05

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Have you checked to ensure that the properties of these procedures are the same (especially the Prompt For Parameters) in both test and production? If they're not then adjust accordingly.

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Jack,
Thanks for you suggested work-around.
quote:
-SET &include= '-INCLUDE dynamic_defines' ;

I like it because it not only helps with this specific problem but helps me also to prevent to get too many parameters in ReportCaster. Now I get a long list with many amper variables used somewhere in some include and the user needs to find the correct parameters to set.
What I will do is make a kind of pre-processing procedure with -DEFAULT for only those parameters that I want to be visible in ReportCaster for the user to set, and then &include the original procedure.

Doug,
Thanks for the suggestion. I did check but the Parameter Prompting setting in the Admin Console (ibif_wfdescribe) is OFF in both development and production system.
I checked several other settings (visually) and they also appear to be the same.
Do you (or someone else) have other settings I might need to check?

Martin.

WebFocus 8206M, iWay DataMigrator, Windows, DB2 Windows V10.5, MS SQL Server, Azure SQL, Hyperstage, ReportCaster

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now I get a long list with many amper variables used somewhere in some include and the user needs to find the correct parameters to set.

Have you tried default them with -DEFAULTH instead? That "H" means those variables are "hidden" from client tools so no parameters are prompted for them. This is valid when building HTML Composer launch pages and I assume a similar behaviour when setting parameters in ReportCaster but haven't tested it myself.

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.