Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Passing a Defered Run

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Passing a Defered Run
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
I have a report that is set up to originally run in PDF format, but has a command that will allow you to push it to excel by passing the variables to the report again and rerunning it. On the original run the report is deferred because it will time out before the report finishes running. Is there a way for me to pass the command to defer the report while passing the parameters in the report?

the way it is currently setup is:

TYPE=HEADING,LINE=1,SIZE=6,OBJECT=TEXT,ITEM=3,FOCEXEC=marmn070( Bus_Unit = '&Bus_Unit' \
THIS_YEAR = '&THIS_YEAR' \
Month = '&Month' \
WHAT = '&WHAT' \
QUARTER = '&QUARTER' \
OUT = 'EXCEL' \ ),
$

I think I need to put in a command here, but I don't know what.

Eric Woerle
WF 7.6.7 Reportting Server
ETL 7.6.10
Dev Studio 7.6.7

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
First Please update your Signature via your profile with what version you are using. You can only run a report deferred in MRE...so I'm going to guess that is where you are. If you right click on the report...it has a check box for 'run only deferred'.

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
if you're running it from MRE, as Prarie says, then you should be prompted for your output variable *before* you execute the report, even if you have clicked RUN DEFERRED.
If you are clicking RUN DEFERRED, and you are *not* being prompted, then you have probably got 'Prompt for Parameters' turned off.
Right click on the reportname, and look at the Properties. See if Prompt for Paramters is unchecked. Check it. Now when you RUN DEFERRED you should be prompted and can put EXCEL in the OUT box.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Yea...that too...Thanks Susannah!

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
He's doing this as a drill from the report, not from MRE. That might affect what he is doing.

I apologize in advance if I have your gender wrong. Hard to tell. Smiler

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Ginny is correct. I am doing this as a drill and I have prompt for parameters turned off because of the way the report is setup. I tried Prarie's suggestion of checking run only deferred and when I do that, the report comes back with the following error, "WebFOCUS was called with an invalid request"

A quick bit of background, the OUT field that I am passing is in there because the report is originally compounding 5 reports into one PDF. The user can then click on the heading of a report to push it out to excel. The OUT parameter is what tells the program which to use. This is why I'm passing it as a drill.

Eric Woerle
ETL 7.6.10
Dev Studio 7.6.7

Expert
posted Hide Post
We can't tell where your problem is.
Can you run the fex with drilldowns if you keep the output format HTML ?
that's one test to begin to isolate the problem.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
The drill works as it currently is. If I run it for only one month, it returns data. The problem is I need to run it for a year and my browser times out before I receive my report. So I need to find a way to defer the report.

I'm trying to figure out if there is a way for me to issue the deferred call at the point I run the drill.

Eric Woerle
ETL 7.6.10
Dev Studio 7.6.7

Expert
posted Hide Post
Eric,

I found this in the doc:
<input type='hidden' name='IBIMR_defer' value="Defer">  

Maybe you can add the IBIMR_defer variable to your drill statement.
TYPE=HEADING,LINE=1,SIZE=6,OBJECT=TEXT,ITEM=3,FOCEXEC=marmn070( Bus_Unit = '&Bus_Unit' \
THIS_YEAR = '&THIS_YEAR' \
Month = '&Month' \
WHAT = '&WHAT' \
QUARTER = '&QUARTER' \
OUT = 'EXCEL' \ ,
IBIMR_defer = 'defer' \ ),
$

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ginny,

That did exactly what we wanted it to. We had tried that before, but I think we used / instead of \. Anyways thanks the programming is running like it should again.

Eric Woerle
ETL 7.6.10
Dev Studio 7.6.7