Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Workspace Screen Reporting Console

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Workspace Screen Reporting Console
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
We believe we have a program that brings our server down. Is there a way to print or capture the "Workspace" screen (pre 8.2 GUI)? I've looked at "Workspace Logs" but it doesn't look like the info I need. I just need whatever is on the Workspace screen so I can compare when it happens again. Screenshot only captures some info (scrollbars) and I'd like it in some kind of text format I can manipulate. Thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

WF 8.0.08 (Prod); WF 8.2.06 (Dev)

Posts: 83 | Location: OK | Registered: November 19, 2015Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Evan

If in fact this is bringing the server down there is no way to capture the workspace screen. Put the following lines of code at the beginning of the fex you think is causing the problem. Then before you start the server back up create a savediag which will capture the traces available before the server stopped. The traces will be under the /ibi/srv8x/wfs/edatemp directory

SET TRACEUSER = ON
SET TRACEON = ALL

Don't forget to remove this code after you capture the traces or it will cause additional overhead every time you run the fex

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
That's just it, I don't know which of the hundreds of programs it could be. Whatever it is, it's not bringing the server completely down, it just slows it to a crawl. I can still access the console when this happens.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I thought edaprint.log has everything that's on the reporting server workspace. If that doesn't have what you're looking for you may have to turn on server traces.

Did this just start happening? It might help to narrow down the causes to whatever changed so you don't have to slow everybody down waiting for it to happen again.

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
It may be included in the edaprint.log file, but I have no idea what I'm looking at. I don't know if the files contain any personal information so I don't want to post it.

It's been something happening intermittently for a while. It is fairly infrequent to it hasn't been a huge deal to figure out, but now I have some time and I want to see what the issue is.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Evan

Intermittent issues like this are very difficult to debug. You will definitely need to open a case with techsupport, if you have a edaprint.log you know was in place when the slow down occurred they will want to look at it.

There is a extra cost feature called the enterprise usage monitor that uses the edaprint files as input. I am not suggesting you buy it but you can ask techsupport to evaluate the edaprint files you send them with that tool and hopefully it will be able to tell you which program(s) may be causing the resources to be used.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
You mean it brings the server down by making it unresponsive? Do you mena reporting server or os server? I would start checking the edatemp directory to see which agents are capturing a lot of space.

Test: WF 8.2
Prod: WF 8.2
DB: Progress, REST, IBM UniVerse/UniData, SQLServer, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, Greenplum, Athena.

Posts: 454 | Location: Europe | Registered: February 05, 2007Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frans:
You mean it brings the server down by making it unresponsive? Do you mena reporting server or os server? I would start checking the edatemp directory to see which agents are capturing a lot of space.

Evan is one of my co-workers. It doesn't bring the server down, it cause the server to be almost unresponsive. For example, we may are may not be able to log on to the server with putty. In stead of the normal 20 agents running there may be 200 (our current max). I think this last time it was a domain controller. There are so many moving parts to the environment, it may have nothing to do with WebFOCUS.

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post