Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Graph Saving SVG issue

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Graph Saving SVG issue
 Login/Join

<ludo>
posted
Hi all,

I read for the previous hour all the post regarding the different issues for saving a graph in a fex but i didn't find the solution.

I'm with webfocus client 7.61 and webfocus server 7.6.1. I wrote a fex that generate a graph saved in SVG. When i run the report the output result is "SVG FILE SAVED ..." but i' m not able to find it nether on my desktop nor the server.

I tried these on my previous install and the result is "FILE GRAPHSPS.SVG SAVED TO P:\ibi\srv71\wfs\edatemp\edatemp\ts000030" that seems to be more efficient. The setup of this version was made by a IBI consultant.

Perharps some server settings are wrong on my 7.6.1 installation but i can't find wich one. So i need your help

I tried the GRAPHSRVURL settings but i still have the mentionned file saved message

Thx

Ludo

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Try putting an APP HOLD dirname in your focexec. Otherwise the file will wind up in edatemp and be deleted upon disconnection.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Ludo,

Search on TEMPPATH, then FILEDEF your SVG output. WebFOCUS can't find it until you tell it where it is...

OR,

Use Ginny's suggestion...

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
<ludo>
posted
Ok thanks i will try your solution

I keep you informed of the result.

Regards
Ludo

Report This Post
<ludo>
posted
Hi all,

I tried to use the TEMPATH function but i doesn't. So I tried the following code given by Francis but on my config it doesn't work i got a red cross (i tried wtih differebt output format)
Any idea
-* excel graph and report

-SET &ECHO=ALL;

SET PAGE-NUM=OFF
SET TEMPERASE=OFF
-RUN

-SET &TEMPDIR = TEMPPATH(80,'A80');

-SET &GIFFILE = &TEMPDIR || 'G1.GIF';

GRAPH FILE CAR
SUM SALES
BY COUNTRY
ON TABLE HOLD AS G1 FORMAT GIF
END
-RUN

DEFINE FILE CAR
IMG1/A100 WITH CAR='';

END
-RUN

TABLE FILE CAR
HEADING
"Sales Report"
" "
FOOTING
"SUM SALES BY COUNTRY
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT EXL2K
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
TYPE=REPORT, TITLETEXT='Sales', $

ENDSTYLE
END
-RUN

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Ludo,

Please update your signature with the release and platform that you are using - see this topic

You can include a graphic in your output like this -

GRAPH FILE CAR
SUM SALES
BY COUNTRY
ON TABLE HOLD AS G1 FORMAT GIF
END
-RUN

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM SALES BY COUNTRY
HEADING
"Sales Report </1"
FOOTING
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT PDF
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
  ORIENTATION=LANDSCAPE, $
TYPE=REPORT, TITLETEXT='Sales', $
TYPE=HEADING, IMAGE=g1.gif, $
ENDSTYLE
END
-RUN

Be aware though that depending upon the output format the reference to the graphic file will need to be reporting server based (Exl2k and PDF) or client server based (Html).

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
You can also issue an OS copy command to copy it from the WebFOCUS temp folder to somewhere more permanent. In our environment I issue:

-UNIX cp file.ext /opt/ibi/apps/folder_name

I do this with all kinds of files.

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
You are making this too hard. Just put the APP HOLD dirname in your focexec like I suggested earlier. Here is an example:

APP HOLD C758760
GRAPH FILE CAR
SUM SALES
BY COUNTRY
ON TABLE HOLD AS CARSVG FORMAT SVG
END

The directory is in the ibi/apps path.

Ginny
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
<ludo>
posted
Hi all

Thx to all. I applied what Tony told me and the mistake I made is testing an include with a bad hold format (i typed PCHOL HTML) so it didn't.

Now I'll able to run report pdf including a graph ... i can continue to test the compound relative behaviour on 7.6.1 version ... Francis this is for you i saw your topic on the pain with pdf compound I encoutered the same issues with compound with the new features you can manage easily the pdf compound.

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Tony (and others reading this post),

Be aware that your code above does NOT work on a 762 AIX web and reporting tier.

I think they want us to use the PDF Layout Painter.

Ginny

Expert
posted Hide Post
Ginny,

Thanks for the info. If I ever have to suffer use AIX then I'll be sure to remember Wink

Another example of why the signature is so useful Smiler

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Tony,

Actually, I really like the Unix environment. This site is almost all self-service and we can use user and group directory and file permissions to isolate the business units.

The thing that is really tough is working with IGS and WebSphere.

Ginny

Expert
posted Hide Post
ginnyjaaaaaaakes you did it again!
APP HOLD ...
simple as pie

now , 'splain to me what is AIX?
is that a unix flavor?
We are SunSolaris...is that a unix flavor??

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Susannah, AIX is IBM's unix Flavour, we here are using Sun Solaris Machines.

There is a myriad of Unix flavours

such as AIX, Sun Solaris (Many types), Linux (Many Types), HP UX.

Ludo, one thing you didn't mention, is what are you going to do with the SVG file, are you using it in a PDF document, if it is generated by WebFOCUS, then Tony's suggestion is right for you, The SVG doesn't need to be in a permanent location.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Susannah,

I know the more experienced of us are aware of the follwing snippet but there are some out there that may not realise the following -

APP HOLD is indeed a great way to get the hold files into an APP folder of your choice however (and FWIW), be aware that it will place ANY file held after that command including any FOC$TEMP files etc.

This can be a benefit but is often a pain because folks do not remember to get rid of any temporary files.

For me, I prefer to use a system copy command to get the exact files that I want copied over. Because I use a text editor instead of the GUI this can be a tad easier (only just) to do over the APP HOLD and it does mean that I only ever have the files that I want in the APP folder instead of some temporary files that may only serve to spoil my testing.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Expert
posted Hide Post
FYI, for a lot of file types, instead of using system copy commands, you can use APP COPY commands which make you more platform independent.

Check 'em out!

Ginny

Expert
posted Hide Post
You can also limit the files by using APP HOLDDATA {app}

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Waz, whats the difference between APP HOLD and APP HOLDDATA ?
is it what it sounds like? no .mas?
i'm back to using !cp because its totally safer, now that i figured out (thanks to GJ) how APP HOLD worked...

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
That's correct. HOLDDATA puts the data file in the specified directory, but the MAS goes to EDATEMP. There is also an APP HOLDMAS.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
If you issue an APP HELP you get a list of valid APP commands (Perhaps not all).

This is what I get for 7.6.5

>>app help
 ------------- Available APP commands ----------------------------
 -----------------------------------------------------------------
* APP ENABLE
* APP DISABLE
* APP CREATE app1 [app2 ...]
* APP DELETE app1 [app2 ...]
* APP DELETEFILE app1 filename filetype
* APP COPY app1 app2
* APP COPYFILE app1 filename1 filetype1  app2 filename2 filetype2
* APP MOVEFILE app1 filename1 filetype1  app2 filename2 filetype2
* APP RENAME app1 app2
* APP RENAMEFILE app1 filename new_filename filetype
* APP PATH app1 [app2  ..]
* APP PATH
* APP APPENDPATH   app1 [app2..]
* APP PREPENDPATH  app1 [app2..]
* APP HOLDMETA app1
* APP HOLDMETA
* APP HOLDDATA app1
* APP HOLDDATA
* APP LIST
* APP LIST HOLD
* APP QUERY app1
* APP QUERY app1 HOLD
* APP FI ddname DISK app1/filename.filetype
* FILEDEF ddname DISK app1/filename.filetype
* USE app1/filename.filetype AS mastername
* APP MAP APP1 physical_directory
* APP SHOWPATH
* APP HELP
>>

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Expert
posted Hide Post
Darin,

It's actually APP HOLDMETA (as per Warren's post).

Ginny,

Good point about the platform independent. I tend to only use (when I really need to) the APP SHOWPATH and occasionally APP HOLD or the individual versions APP HOLDDATA and APP HOLDMETA. I guess that I should really start thinking about the other commands even though, for my current Client, the are no cross platform issues Wink

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Expert
posted Hide Post
ohhhh that's a delicious tip, thanks Waz.